Re#33 discontinued

Sorta strange. They announce it at the Shot Show last year but it was available in such limited quantities that it might as well be unavailable all together. Given the current powder demand, I doubt we'll see it made for a long, long time.

i would like to try some. i am getting great groups with 4831sc, but could definitely stand to gain a tad more speed.

Not discontinued but hard to get. I think that they haven't listed it on their website yet because they haven't been able to fill demand so why be putting blood in the water? In QuickLoad it shows up near the top of the velocity lists for a lot of cartridges so I had to have some. I got an 8 lb jug a few weeks ago from Powder Valley and my nephew picked up a pound yesterday at a gun show over in Montana so it can be obtained.

Turns out that the performance is for real – one example, 300 RUM, 26", 200 gr Nosler AB at 3,250 fps, no pressure signs. I haven't tried faster but I'm guessing that is about it judging from the primers being just about the right amount of flat.

There are however a couple of things to keep in mind. It is a BIG stick powder – two pieces is a tenth of a grain. I've had it jam up in my powder funnel more than once and it doesn't trickle all that well. I've had to partially seat bullets and then shake the case upside down a couple of times to keep from badly crunching the powder in a 338 RUM case that used less than 100% of available volume. It also puts out some serious smoke – like half way to black powder. And the burn rate changes a lot depending on what you put it in so you have to be very conservative with starting loads. Having said all that, I'm sure glad I bought 8 lbs.

Heavy smoke? I haven't noticed that with 6mm-284, 7mm/375 Ruger, 257 Weatherby, 7 Rem mag, or 300 RUM.

It is definitely slower than Retumbo. Only the 7 mag didn't show velocity increases but I didn't use a 180. The rest of them were shot with the heaviest bullet for caliber available which is where I believe RL-33 shines.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.