Rangefinders

now we have a range , 1000 , 2000 yards now what ! how many people can even shoot at that distance maybe
1/2 of 1 percent.
Probably right, but for those of us shooting at those ranges a rangefinder that will work on soft targets at long range in less than idea conditions is essential. I'm yet to be convinced that any of the rangefinder binoculars will routinely work out to at least a full mile in difficult conditions. I'd like to buy a pair that will.

Ranging in foggy conditions presents some problems with certain brand rangefinders. My Leica 1200 does really well and so does my cousin's old Nikon's.
I started looking closer at foggy conditions after we noticed that certain brands don't want to range through those shoot-through ground blind mesh windows.
Anyone having issues in foggy conditions?

Foggy conditions are the true metric for rangefinders (not distance).
Nikon Laserforce, more range than I need on a sunny day but in the fog probably around 2-300yds depending on the fog density. I had no issues around 100ish yds in fog this year... mayybe a bit slower to get a reading. Overall really happy with the Nikon and nobodys going to shoot at something in the fog they cant see well enough to laser anyways.

Ranging in foggy conditions presents some problems with certain brand rangefinders. My Leica 1200 does really well and so does my cousin's old Nikon's.
I started looking closer at foggy conditions after we noticed that certain brands don't want to range through those shoot-through ground blind mesh windows.
I have a Sig 2400 ABS and it struggles in foggy conditions

has anyone used any vortex rangefinders the razor HD 4000 . I never understood how all the manufacturers get away with false claims on their unit ranging abilities . I would guess 100 percent of the stated range would be less than half of advertise range.
what rangefinder will range 1000 yards every time ?
As most have said the max range is usually clearly stated as reflective. Often the non-reflective range is also noted. For me it just really depends..... I run the leica 3200 bino. I have ranged the side of a mountain at 3500 in the snow. I have also had it struggle with grass or sun soaked hill sides past 2000. For 1000 it's not even remotely being tested. It will range everything. The other item that can be annoying is beam divergence and aiming. Leica beam is fine, not the smallest but does work fine on the plains/desert. Gunwerks revic specifically addresses in their design to help hunters know how to aim the laser. I think if I was just looking for a LRF it would be a Revic. A friend has one that I have messed with. It's a nice LRF that's for sure.

SIG and Leupold both struggle with fog, even at 30-40yds. Didn't notice that with the first Leupold I had ,1000tbr, but the 1600 don't like it. SIG 2200 about useless in fog, even light fog.

I have had real good success with the vortex 4000. It ranges out to 1000 in flat ground which to me is true test of range finder. In mountains I can get 1500-2000 on small rocks, tree. Over that it's need to be pretty reflective or real steady on a tripod. I have been happy with mine for hunting

I have a Vortex Ranger 1500 and it gets pretty wonky in the 700-800 yard range. I'm shopping for a new unit that will truly range animals to 1500 yards. Much past that, I use ONX and its measuring tool.

The Vortex Razors work well but the two I use the most are the Vortex Fury 5000s and the Vectronix PLRF15 the Fury's get me out there a long ways and the PLRF15 is good for reflective targets to 5800 yards +/- small targets 3800 +/- yards

osoh

has anyone used any vortex rangefinders the razor HD 4000 . I never understood how all the manufacturers get away with false claims on their unit ranging abilities . I would guess 100 percent of the stated range would be less than half of advertise range.
what rangefinder will range 1000 yards every time ?
I did ping targets with the Vortex 4000s out to 3500 yards in New Mexico at the NRA Whittington center ( white steel plates in the mountain side) and compared the results for error against my Vectronix PLRF15s and we were somewhat impressed on how close the vortex 4000s were against the Vectronix when you look at the price difference. We were impressed, this was back in 2018, back then we used the Razor 4000s to pinpoint the Azimuth and were able to see how they related in distance