Rangefinders

Their warranty is phenomenal. I wanted to send my binos in, I just send an email, didn't even call, right away I had a reply with all the information to send it in, and they promply repaired it and sent it back.
I may not be communicating just how strongly their warranty was the reason I purchased from them!

I may not be communicating just how strongly their warranty was the reason I purchased from them!
No, I get it. And for electronics especially. I just have to go with what works for my eyes. I have not gone out to compare any in the last 4 years. If I can't see it, I cant range it, I can't shoot it. For me, my eyes, after I saw side by side in hunting situation the difference of glass, I need to check any glass at dawn or dusk. I'll pay the extra at a brick&mortar store soI can check them out.

No, I get it. And for electronics especially. I just have to go with what works for my eyes. I have not gone out to compare any in the last 4 years. If I can't see it, I cant range it, I can't shoot it. For me, my eyes, after I saw side by side in hunting situation the difference of glass, I need to check any glass at dawn or dusk. I'll pay the extra at a brick&mortar store soI can check them out.
They are the product that works best for me as far as price and function and only carrying one piece of equipment,but I agree they're glass is not the best. This is the only piece of vortex Optical equipment that I own!

I ditched the 3500.com for the Revic BR4 from Gunwerks. The 3500.com and kestrel worked great when it worked but I simply couldn't be confident in it always connecting.
The BR4 has been awesome and the wind function has been great in hunting situations that are sub 1000 yards.
When doing ELR shooting and I have the luxury of time I still use the kestrel in conjunction with the BR4.

Revic also has a kestrel type device in the works that will pair with the BR4 in the future from what I understand.
I gave the 3500.COM with kestrel every chance in the book even contacted factory rep, sent it to him for testing... Got back all I needed to hear… worked perfectly without kestrel. Gone!

Sig 5k pairs well with kestrel and works for me. I'm sure there are better options out there for more $$$.

i have the sig kilo5. I have also owned the fury 5000s. In the field when hunting with family there is variety. Anything from the Leica 2800.com range and hdb binos to the Swarovski el and revic br4 set ups. Lower ranges all of our set up work out to 1000 just fine when paired with a kestrel. My own experience under 800 with the sigs in the colder weather (-20 to 15) and in the snow I started having ranging problem due to the glare and brightness. Otherwise comparing the 3 set ups in field connected to the kestrel for anything above their self attainable distances the were the same with the caveat that the br4's were slightly faster then the sig

I replaced my old G7 BR2 rangefinder with a Leica 3500.com and Kestrel 5700 Elite AB. The Leica is a good rangefinder but will not work correctly with the Kestrel. I have a 1300 yard range and plan to try bag a marmot at a mile this next fall. The Leica/Kestrel works best if I leave Bluetooth off, get my range and enter the distance manually. What are you experienced ELR shooters using?
I've used the Sig 5K since September and it'll do all you need and them some. The BaseMap feature is a handy tool as well. For around $500 it's exceptional. The 8K and 10K are the 5K on steroids and double the cost. I don't have first hand experience with some of the others that have been noted and I'm sure there's probably a dozen or so options. Spend time and check out all reviews and best of luck with your final choice.

So Jim.
Im of the opinion that you use the same range all the time?
If so, why wouldnt a few sighter shots suffice?
Could it be that my very old mind is confused about the importance of things like first round hits?

yes , we shoot the same range all the time . yes , first round hits is what we all try for . shooting sighters would be ok at a target under similar conditions , not for hunting in conditions that we probably haven't shot in .

a couple years ago I was sitting on our firing line during deer season . it was snowing fairly hard , around zero degrees temperature . I had a couple of deer come out feeding just behind our one target . I think it was our 1500 yard target . I get the rifle positioned , find the deer , try to range the deer , and get all kinds of weird readings . 30 yards , 100 yards , 30 yards 400 yards . I'm assuming the rangefinder was getting screwed up by the snow in the air . I get a dope book out and see what I dial at that target . then I quit , I knew I had no dope for these conditions . after the snow stopped I ranged the target the deer were next to . the rangefinder showed I needed 17 more MOA than I had in my dope book . if I had shot at these deer I doubt I would have seen any splash with the snow in the air and being 17 moa low .
if I would have had a kestrel I could have put in the target distance and probably made the shot .

Slightly off topic, but do any of you know of a site that does independent optics reviews on the various binos, spotting scopes, and rangefinders available? I found a birding site that looks at binos and spotting scopes, but not rangefinders.

Most folks don't get that optics are very subjective concerning performance with individual eyeballs. Some high end offerings do not perform as well as more modestly priced pieces...for some people. Your statement about checking out an optic in actual conditions, with your eyes, is spot on.

I've been using Zeiss binos for several years and am unwilling to give up that good glass. If one of the top tier bino companies came out with a product that incorporated the AB ballistic software with the speed and capabilities of the 3500.com I would go that direction. Still need to do a wind read and quick calculation there but it would speed the process up a good bit.

I recently picked up a pair of the Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB. The website I purchased them from had them at 40% off plus another 10% off for signing up for text alerts, so the final price was $1079. The glass is not alpha, but for the price, I could not be happier. I have not had any issues with them pairing with my Kestrel and they range quickly and accurately to distances twice as far as I will ever be shooting. I shoot at a private ranged with steel at 100 yard increments out to 1000 yards and the are spot on at those know distances.

I recently picked up a pair of the Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB. The website I purchased them from had them at 40% off plus another 10% off for signing up for text alerts, so the final price was $1079. The glass is not alpha, but for the price, I could not be happier. I have not had any issues with them pairing with my Kestrel and they range quickly and accurately to distances twice as far as I will ever be shooting. I shoot at a private ranged with steel at 100 yard increments out to 1000 yards and the are spot on at those know distances.

Liberty Optics? Scott has great prices.

Liberty Optics? Scott has great prices.
No, another site, OP. It was a glitch on the site. They were listed at 25% off but when I clicked on them it priced them at 40% off (the normal LEO and military discount). The glitch only lasted about three hours and was corrected (a friend tried to get the same deal but missed out). When I ordered they were on back order and before the order was filled they sent several emails requesting I cancel the order. I had to wait several months, but figured at that price I could sell them for what I paid if I did not like them. Again, the glass is not alpha, but the range finder is and and the peace of mind that comes from the warrantee is priceless.

No, another site, OP. It was a glitch on the site. They were listed at 25% off but when I clicked on them it priced them at 40% off (the normal LEO and military discount). The glitch only lasted about three hours and was corrected (a friend tried to get the same deal but missed out). When I ordered they were on back order and before the order was filled they sent several emails requesting I cancel the order. I had to wait several months, but figured at that price I could sell them for what I paid if I did not like them. Again, the glass is not alpha, but the range finder is and and the peace of mind that comes from the warrantee is priceless.
That is a great price I paid 1200 for mine