Rangefinder carry

The Sig Kilo 3000 Bino is very good glass and fantastic range finder. AND...you can pair it with the BDX scopes and have a firing solution via a tiny but bright orange pinpoint dot on your reticle in < 1/4 of a second.

I carry my rangefinder in my scope. Burris Eliminator III scope Ha ha ha. They work.
MD
Except sometimes they don't...owned them...sensitive to magnum recoil. Higher fail rate than you would think. Heavy...and glass is not very good. AND...not legal to hunt with in some states.

Teesquare... yes you are correct.
When these types of scopes came on market I bought a Nikon scope that had the range finder built into the scope. I returned it 3 times.
Each time they gave me a new one. At the time I lived in Fargo North Dakota. It would not work in cold temps like they said it would. Nikon did treat me right they sent me 3 Nikon monarch 3 scopes to make up for the problem. I chose 3 scopes all 6-24x 44 BDC. Then 2 years ago I bought the Burris Eliminator III 4-16-50. It has not failed me on my 243. Not sure how it would hold up on a 300 magnum but I have made some long shots with mine. Mine will range a coyote at 600 yards and a deer at 700 and a horse at 750 yards ( I am thinking horse about size of a moose ) I am very happy with mine. Optics not as clear as a nightforce or other $1000.00 plus scopes but the scope puts them on the sod. Natchez optic / hunting catalog 2 years ago had 40 of the refurbished Burris Eliminator III scopes on sale for I think $699.00. My biggest regret was not buying 3 of them. I called Burris and they were honoring the warranty. I paid full $1599.00 for mine. Like you said maybe not perfect for every ones application but for ND / IA / WI and on my 243 I am very very happy not having a range finder around my neck. MD

Teesquare... yes you are correct.
When these types of scopes came on market I bought a Nikon scope that had the range finder built into the scope. I returned it 3 times.
Each time they gave me a new one. At the time I lived in Fargo North Dakota. It would not work in cold temps like they said it would. Nikon did treat me right they sent me 3 Nikon monarch 3 scopes to make up for the problem. I chose 3 scopes all 6-24x 44 BDC. Then 2 years ago I bought the Burris Eliminator III 4-16-50. It has not failed me on my 243. Not sure how it would hold up on a 300 magnum but I have made some long shots with mine. Mine will range a coyote at 600 yards and a deer at 700 and a horse at 750 yards ( I am thinking horse about size of a moose ) I am very happy with mine. Optics not as clear as a nightforce or other $1000.00 plus scopes but the scope puts them on the sod. Natchez optic / hunting catalog 2 years ago had 40 of the refurbished Burris Eliminator III scopes on sale for I think $699.00. My biggest regret was not buying 3 of them. I called Burris and they were honoring the warranty. I paid full $1599.00 for mine. Like you said maybe not perfect for every ones application but for ND / IA / WI and on my 243 I am very very happy not having a range finder around my neck. MD

Ain't it great to have choices in a "semi-free market economy"?:D Anytime I can eliminate weight, or another piece of gear without losing the advantage that piece gave me...it is a win. Before you buy another Burris...look over the Sig BDX line. Will surprise you how much the tech. has moved forward. I like Burris - and use their Signature Zee rings - almost exclusively....But these new scopes that pair with a range finder are amazing. The the speed, weight, glass and distance capabilities are amazing for what you spend... It cost me approx. $1600 for the 6-5 -20 power scope AND the BDX 3000 laser rangefinder binos.

73driver: I need a rangefinder because I like to hit what I shoot at, and I don't have to shoot a magnum to do it. I've shot at Coues deer thinking they were 300 yards, and they were less than 200. They are that much smaller. I also hunt mostly with muzzleloader, and at 200 meters, 400 gr. bullets drop fast. 25 yards makes a big difference.

I can't believe people use these big bulky front packs to carry binos. I have a cover for the occular lenses, and that is all I've ever needed. Much faster to use. Get yourself a Speedy Stitcher Awl and sew a strap on wherever it is needed. I put extra long straps on mine so it hangs below my backpack belt.

I modified a pair of Dickies suspenders to hold my binos. Most comfortable rig I've used, and it prevents plumber's butt, which gets cold when it is snowing.

So, a rangefinder is necessary for long range hunting.....I carried mine in a nice Horn Hunter pouch...then I lost the strap. The new one is just different.

So, I'm lost. How do you carry your rangefinder in the field? Looking for a solution/gift idea.
I have a Lieca 1000 fits in shirt pocket and have a lanyard around my neck so I can drop it and move to my rifle!

73driver: I need a rangefinder because I like to hit what I shoot at, and I don't have to shoot a magnum to do it. I've shot at Coues deer thinking they were 300 yards, and they were less than 200. They are that much smaller. I also hunt mostly with muzzleloader, and at 200 meters, 400 gr. bullets drop fast. 25 yards makes a big difference.

I can't believe people use these big bulky front packs to carry binos. I have a cover for the occular lenses, and that is all I've ever needed. Much faster to use. Get yourself a Speedy Stitcher Awl and sew a strap on wherever it is needed. I put extra long straps on mine so it hangs below my backpack belt.

I modified a pair of Dickies suspenders to hold my binos. Most comfortable rig I've used, and it prevents plumber's butt, which gets cold when it is snowing.
Why would you want it to hang that low?

This what I have settled on as the most compact yet complete for how I hunt. - I adapted this backpack https://www.vornequipment.com. I use the mid size pack.
and this chest rig/bino harness https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...ses/badlands-bino-xr-binocular-case/p/1474905
using quick disconnect buckles from Badlands. So it attatches to the shoulder straps on the backpack. It is light and very low profile for the capacity you It allows me to climb using both hands - and keeps the rifle easily at the ready. Your binos and rangefinder are kept clean and instantly available - both pockets have elastic tethers. And - the closure is magnetic- so it can be opened and closed silently.

mnoland30,
I don't like a bulky bino pack either but tried a bino harness and it didn't protect or hold my binos as well. I find myself crawling under stuff or going through brush that would pull off my optic covers. I settled on the Marsupial pack. It is smaller than many others and I found it more convenient. If walking more open country, the flap can be quickly held out of the way with a magnetic catch but nicer yet was the binocs are still held in a convenient position that without looking you can one hand pick them up and return them, keeping your eyes on the game. My binocs are rangefinders as well so I use them a lot and wanted better protection for them. I bow hunt with mine as well and need them close to my chest.

mnoland30,
I don't like a bulky bino pack either but tried a bino harness and it didn't protect or hold my binos as well. I find myself crawling under stuff or going through brush that would pull off my optic covers. I settled on the Marsupial pack. It is smaller than many others and I found it more convenient. If walking more open country, the flap can be quickly held out of the way with a magnetic catch but nicer yet was the binocs are still held in a convenient position that without looking you can one hand pick them up and return them, keeping your eyes on the game. My binocs are rangefinders as well so I use them a lot and wanted better protection for them. I bow hunt with mine as well and need them close to my chest.

The Marsupial is like the Badlands XR - but not as streamlined. Looks boxy by comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.