carry rifle scope

tired

needs= 4.5-14,3-12 lightweight bdc recticle illuminated good glass something to take some abuse(atvs pickups recoil)bouncing around out west. I have a budget of around $800. Also need a good set of rings and bases to go with this. Im looking at a 6 3/4 pound 7mm rem mag no brake

i was going to say, just get a leupold vx-III in the 4.5-14, I have a couple of them and love them.
but, why do you want illuminated reticle? I bought a leupold mk4 with the illuminated reticle, and it never gets used. even at night(legal predator hunting) you don't need it. but thats my opinion, maybe you do need it?

just a thought, leaving that off would save you weight and money.

I guess I would lean toward the leupold vx-III 3.5-10, or the 4.5-14. and sorry, I don't have any recommendations for "light" rings. I use bulky stuff, like badgers and GG&G.
i have heard some good stuff about the burris rings with inserts. check those out.

hope that helps a little...

I have a hard time seeing my crosshairs in lower light(anything less than sunny)overcast day in the woods 1/2 hour before dark

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time seeing my crosshairs in lower light(anything less than sunny)overcast day in the woods 1/2 hour before dark

[/ QUOTE ]

What scope are you using now? I've found it easier to see crosshairs on brighter scopes. Maybe the answer is a larger objective?

Don

I'm 67 and have a Nikon Monarch 4-12 BDC on a .257 Wby Ultralight. Chose that scope over the VX III because it seemed brighter to me. Have no problem seeing the reticle in dim conditions.

I just put together two Kimber Montanas in 300WSM for my brother and myself. Both have Leupold 4.5 - 14 40mm mine with Boone and Crocket and his with duplex. If you are looking for a brighter reticle, go with the duplex as it is gold in color and shows very well in low light. I don't believe you can get wide duplex in 40mm. I agree that you don't need the illuminated reticle and on a carry rifle, simple is better IMHO. I used the one piece Talley rings on both and love the solid, simple mount. They also only weigh 2.2 oz. Good luck.
Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.