To carry or not to carry...15x

Totoro

Hey fellas, how many of you tote around a 15x; along with bino on a chest harness and a big spotter?

I've been running 8.5x on the chest, a 15x and 85mm spotter in the bag while chasing muleys in big open country.

Now debating, if the same 3 pieces will make it to elk camp this year.

Or go 12x and 85mm spotter to save some weight.

Thoughts?

I'm usually happy with my 10x42's on my chest and my 85 mm spotter in the pack for elk. I take on a little extra weight by toting around a pretty heavy duty tripod (RRS)

You can find much more game with a 15x mounted on a tripod that with a spotting scope. I carry a 10x42 Geovid HD-B around my neck and my 15x's and a small tripod in my back pack. The only time I carry a spotting scope is when I need to judge horns (Sheep/Antelope) Grid glassing really works! Get comfortable, set up your tripod, use your eyes instead of your legs and pick apart the terrain. You will suprised what you will find!

I glass for hours from a good vantage point.
10x42s in a chest harness always for glassing out to 1-2 miles on a tripod.
15x56s when glassing out to 2-3+ miles.
Spotter is only for getting a better look. I can't glass huge tracts for hours with one eye.

I've done it but my 15x seldom leave the pickup anymore. There are places where I really like the 15's but I usually know I'm going to use them before I bring them. Example, a great brush patch in North Idaho were I'm 800 to 1200 yards away. I can pick it apart with those 15s on a tripod. Finding deer and elk bedded in the brush. But then I still need my spotter to determine if I want to go after them. I too have found that 10x42s on a tripod greatly improves my ability with them.

Hey fellas, how many of you tote around a 15x; along with bino on a chest harness and a big spotter?

I've been running 8.5x on the chest, a 15x and 85mm spotter in the bag while chasing muleys in big open country.

Thoughts?
Most of my scopes are 3x by 15x. I have either 8x or 10X on my chest and 16x by 56x on a tripod. So far, so good.

One of the guys I hunt with bought a Nikon 900 camera. He carries a little tripod for it, and none of us carry a big spotting scope, ever. The Nikon 900 has the most magnification of just about any camera. You can bring an elk from one mile to "up close and personal" with the press of a button. You can take pictures AND videos of your whole hunting adventure. Several elk have been videoed as they were shot. You can see the vapor trail, and exactly where the shot was placed. At the range you can monitor a target at just about any distance. The camera is only about $500 and it's changed the way we hunt.

Thoughts?

I use 12x50s and a spotter - this combination has worked really well for me.

When I'm rifle hunting I run my 8.5X42 Swarovski on my chest and if I think I will encounter an area where I can really glass I'll throw in my Swarovski 20-60x80:spotting scope. Even when I'm archery hunting I'll tote my spotting scope if conditions are applicable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.