Rangefinder ?

mitch291

I am looking for a new rangefinder for an antelope hunt next year. I want one the will range antelope out to around 800 yards. I was wondering what you guys are using in the field.

Do not buy a 1600-B for the ballistics!!!!! To put it simply. They don't work. Ranging and glass are good. The other problem with them is that they use a battery shaped like a beer barrel. I have never seen one before in 60 years. Why? Guess its too simple for the Germans to use AA or AAA.

Do not buy a 1600-B for the ballistics!!!!! To put it simply. They don't work. Ranging and glass are good. The other problem with them is that they use a battery shaped like a beer barrel. I have never seen one before in 60 years. Why? Guess its too simple for the Germans to use AA or AAA.

HUH! Please elaborate. I see no problem with the battery shape and my 1600 has never failed me even in Montana's adverse weather conditions. I don't think a pair of AA or AAA 3Vs has the same continuous run time operation capability as 1 C2R 3V battery. I pay $1.99 for one C2R battery (http://www.batteryjunction.com/dura...OZQHg7vdAJ_p0nQi3Kd6gDxIeYnEIVGhnABoCC7bw_wcB). Do a cost comparison of the AA, AAA, and C2R batteries and see which one is better suited for the intended purpose/design.

I'm going to break outta the leica mold for a moment. I looked at the 1600... And ended up going with the Zeiss Victory PRF. It's been amazing. The glass is so clear I don't even take my binocs out anymore... As the Zeiss has the same 8x zoom my binocs have. I waive red between the two... Leica and Zeiss, but very very pleased with this unit. I'd tell you straight away if I didnt... Cause I have no use for costly products that don't work. Check out some online I depth reviews... And you tube. That's what help me make up my mind.

Good luck and keep shooting straight gun). ............. :D

I'm going to break outta the leica mold for a moment. I looked at the 1600... And ended up going with the Zeiss Victory PRF. It's been amazing. The glass is so clear I don't even take my binocs out anymore... As the Zeiss has the same 8x zoom my binocs have. I waive red between the two... Leica and Zeiss, but very very pleased with this unit. I'd tell you straight away if I didnt... Cause I have no use for costly products that don't work. Check out some online I depth reviews... And you tube. That's what help me make up my mind.

Good luck and keep shooting straight gun). ............. :D

yep i had one of them too . in fact i had these 4 and i sold the nikon 1st

and then the ziess the beam divergence is twice the size as the leica so

now i have the two best to suit my needs the 1600 for long range and the

loopy 600 for walking around with the humma it's compact and the pouch

just clips on to a belt loop nice and handy .

Attachments

• lrf 1.JPG
    lrf 1.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 67
  • lrf5 (Small).JPG
    lrf5 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 63
My problem with the 1600-B is that I bought and paid for a rangefinder with ballistics. Yes I agree with you the glass and ranging are great, however, the ballistic part is a joke. I have tried to match three different calibers and none come close to the twelve it gives you to pick from. Now to the battery. Yes you can order one on line. Wait one to two weeks for delivery.
But what happens if you need one in a small town in the middle of no where? You can forget it. My Walmart or gun store does not carry them. They do have AA and AAA. I could even borrow these from my neighbor. Just keep it simple.

Now to the battery. Yes you can order one on line. Wait one to two weeks for delivery.
But what happens if you need one in a small town in the middle of no where? You can forget it. My Walmart or gun store does not carry them. They do have AA and AAA. I could even borrow these from my neighbor. Just keep it simple.

Then get enough batteries that last you for the season or two ... problem solved. lightbulb:):D:rolleyes::cool:.

I too live in a small town.

Yeah... I initially had concerns about the beam divergence, but after checking with a couple of guides, they all felt that for big game, it wouldnt be an issue as long as I practice with it at known distances in advance. So far, it's been spot on, though I did notice that I need to range using the bottom of the reticle. That actually was the one thing that was almost a deal-breaker for me... The size of the reticle, however, it's just like everything else... If you actually take the time to use and know your gear, then most issues can be figured out to make the product effective.

Very pleased so far! If it lasts me as long as my thermal scope...I'll have no complaints.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts