Rangefinder

sodak

I've tried searching threads for ideas on a rangefinder. I know that the Leica is good. As is some of the other expensive models. How do the rangefinders that cost between $400 and $800 stack up?

Last edited:
I've seen several used Swaro's for 700-750. If I had that much to spend I'd buy a used Swaro first. The Bushnell 1500 I had was pretty accurate out to around 1000 to 1100yds. Past that it was getting hard to get readings on objects unless they were rather large.

I have a Nikon Gold 1200 which is very consistent out to 800 yds. and only costs about $350. :)

joseph

$800 will get you one of the best pure line of sight 1600 yd Rangefinders made. LEICA CRF1600. It has some other features that I don't want to try. Check it out...some of them LIE!

What do you mean "Some of them LIE"? Are you talking about the calculations made by the rangefinder or the people writing articles about them.?
Here's a pretty good write up I found on snipershide about the CRF 1600:
Leica CRF 1600 in hand with short review - Sniper's Hide Forums
From that description it's a good rangefinder but the ballistics calculator leaves a lot to be desired.
It apparently has sensors for inclination, barometric pressure, and temperature, but then it uses "selectable" bullet models which is the weak part.

Anyway, I'm keeping my Leica LRF-1200. It's the most reliable and useful rangefinder I own and it will fit in a BDU pocket. I've also got a Laser Technologies Impulse 200XL which is reliable in excess of a mile and has a direct reading inclinometer plus some horizontal and vertical calculations (which are useless for shooting). It also has serial data output so I don' t have to retype measurements into my ballistics PC. But it's not in the <$800 class, More like $2800.

You can probably find a used LRF or CRF 1200 for under $500. Try ebay.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.