Question on cartridge choice

jayph

Forgive me if this has been talked about as I am sure it has. I went back 7 pages and couldn't find anything so I will ask.

What cartridge is the best combination of long range energy, and barrel life? I know high velocity comes with a price but some have to be better than others. I am looking for a cartridge that I can practice with alot over the summer months but not have to rebarrel when I am done. I will be going on a trophy mule deer hunt this fall and a long shot could present itself. For now nothing past 750 if at the end of summer I am comfortable with that range. Longer as my abillity allows me in the future. Comments on barrel length with caliber sugestions would also be apreciated.

Background: I am from Canada I have been hunting for 10 years and will be turning 25 this year. I am comfortable out to 400 yards now with a stable rest and have taken game with 1 shot kills at that range. I am recoil sensitive in the lightweight guns but have shot my fathers 300wm Sendero many times with no problem. I will plan to have the above rifle weight in around 11-12 pounds no optics. I am set up for reloading so factory ammo is not a requirement. Thats about all for now off to read and obsorb some more info this seems like a great website to learn. I will be going to work in a bit so I will check back in tomorrow thanks in advance to all that help. (I know my grammer and spelling is terrible :))

Jason

edit: I suppose I should include the rifles I already own.
Remington 700 BDL .270 Win
Remington 700 ADL .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 LSS .30-06
Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Camo with 30" barrel
Savage Mark II BTVS .22LR
Savage 93 Custom .22Mag
Custom Target rifle (currently being built) 6.5x47 Lapua

Last edited:
if it were me I'd look into a 260 rem or such, when I wanted a LR rig to shoot alot I had one built in 6.5 gibbs, not the greatest of barrel life but a good compromise between power, trajectory, and decent barrel life (approx. 2500 rounds) the 260 would surpass that if you treat it right.
RR

The 260 is my new favorite caliber , I was a tried and true 308 fan for years after SSG built my 260 I was done ,it shoots as flat as a 300 win with 190gr Sierra Match Kings , kicks less than the 308 and has more energy at 1000yds than the 308 shooting a 175gr SMK does!!
I killed a doe at over 900yds with it this year and seeing the damage and penitration I got I would not hesitate to shoot a deer i the 300lb range at 900yds.
Barrel length , 26" or so , medium to heavy Palma conture would be plenty stiff. a good stock in the 2-3 lb range coupled with a good set of aluminum rings and base you should meet the weight yu want easly.

BUT , BUT

Seeing that you have a couple Rem 700 long actions available you could build a 280 Ackley and that would give you some more range and open the possibilities of shooting bigger game , Take you BDL 270 and rebarrel it with a slightly heavier conture (#5-#6) fluted barrel at 26-28" and you should gain very little weight.

First thing is first , how does the that 30-06 LSS shoot? have you had any work done to it? It could be a diamond in the rough , a good bedding job , trigger work good crown and that gun coupled with good reloads would probably shoot around 3/4 moa maybe better out to 700yds , that with a 210gr Berger or new 208gr A-max and you have an easy 1000yd deer gun for WAY less than a new build , Hell you could rechamber to 30 Gibbs and get close to 300 win mag speeds. The 30-06 has a pretty **** good barrel life if you don't get it to hot , Lapua brass is kinda costly but well worth it and 100 pieces will last you till you need to rebarrel it.

As for being recoil sensitive , you will be hard pressed to find a rifle in the 30 cal or smaller range no matter the weight that kicks nearly as hard as that 3.5" 870 with turkey loads , those thing suck for recoil.

Wow 130 Views and two comments, I either asked a question people are tired of answering or there is no such caliber. lol:D Thanks to the two that answered but the .260 Rem doens't seem that much ahead of the 6.5x47 I am having built right now it seems.

I think your right about the 6.5x47.....Just borrow your dads 300 Sendero it should do what you need:) I also like th .280AI route that was suggested.....in fact if your in the market I saw one in the classifieds.

Wow 130 Views and two comments, I either asked a question people are tired of answering or there is no such caliber. lol:D Thanks to the two that answered but the .260 Rem doens't seem that much ahead of the 6.5x47 I am having built right now it seems.

if I were to buy a new gun...

it would be a custom one, in 300 wsm. plenty of power and moderate recoil(lower than a 300wm).

the lss would be a good choice also.

my two cents.
Joe

Jayph, I'm new to long range also, but if you're looking for opinions, I'll be glad to give you one.

First you should determine exactley what capability you want. i.e., max range and size and toughness of game. If you want to be able to shoot elk at a 1000 yds eventually, then get a cartridge that can do that, by sending a bullet down range with good terminal performance. I don't think a 280 AI would be the best choice, but it would be OK if yoy were looking for less.

Then, list the cartridges and pick one that might not burn out a barrel *too* quick. Problem is that mag cartridges burn barrels quicker than others.

One idea might be to get something like a 300 RUM, EDGE, etc., and load it on the *light* side. A cartridge like that could send a 225 gr down range with killing performance on a faitly *light* load. A light load would probably add some life to your barrel. The type powder you use can also affect your barrel life.

Just a thought....

Find an accurate load with a good LR bullet in that '06 and don't look back. There is plenty of performance for your needs (deer at 750).
If recoil is a problem, there are ways around that...brakes, pads, and what-not.

Last edited:
put your good taste in calibers to the test,load up a couple of hundred rounds each for your 270 win,and 30-06 and have a rolling shoot off all summer with these two calibers,granted your custom will out shoot them,but with great reloads you should be able to challenge yourself and that the whole idea is it not? congrat''s on haveing such great rifles at your young age!!! buy testing two rifles you will put half the wear on both of them..... everythings a compromise choise carefully,
Great post by the way!!!
regards

I to wish i could find a good non magnum load, but i think im gonna buy a .300wsm and be done with it. I think it will do the job on most game, deer out to 1k and elk to under 800.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.