New theory on my practice, help select the cartridge

straightshooter

At this time I am shooting a Savage 10fp 308. I switched from a savage 11 300 wsm laminated thumbhole (Dick's sporting goods model), mainly for the cost savings in reloading, and I have a shooting partner who also shoots a 308. Turns out I'm happy with the change, better accuracy from the 10fp and I didn't have to invest in new reloading components. My interest is as much 1000 yard practice I can afford. My question, "Is there a better caliber to shoot out to 1000 yards taking into account nothing but cost of reloading and barrel life?"

you just described the 6mm BR. It is a top 600 yard cartridge and holds its own most days at 1000 in the BR competitions and Fclass.

Bullets are half the cost, powder half the cost, and same barrel life with little better ballistics.

Go to www.savageshooters.com and look for either new chambered or used 6mmbr barrel with 1-8 twist about 27-28" long. Several vendors stock new BR barrels.

Use Forester BR dies or you can go to BR central, look under the vendors for Harrels. They have custom 6BR FL size dies on the shelf. They just need a couple 2x fired rds to match the right die to your chamber, as they have numerous sizes.

Start with 105 AMAX (good BC, plastic tips so no pointing needed etc)
Varget or RL15 powder
CCI 450 primers
Lapua Brass (will last forever in the BR)

BH

+1 on the 6b

I currently shoot 300WSM and 6.5-284 for long range target and hunting. Last year another 6.5 barrel went south and my 6br came in. The 6 is now my go to gun for everything within reason.

6NormaBR. Excellent barrel life, great accuracy, low recoil, and good ballistics. Reloading components are cheaper (or use less, as in powder) than a 30 cal, except for brass of course, and this will last a good long time.

This is what my next custom build will be, on a savage dual-port target action.

Thanks guys on the replies. The 6mmbr is very intriguing. I like that it burns the same powders I am using now, allowing me to still buy in bulk with my shooting partner. It is so hard to justify the use of a large caliber to put holes in a target.

The accuracy of the 6br is amazing.
You don't need a super fancy extra special rifle. I have a Remington 700 with a Hart barrel and it is amazingly accurate. Squirrels to 500 are not a problem.
When I first shot it I loaded up 30 gr. of Varget with a 75 gr vmax and the first group I shot was 5 under 1/2 inch at a hundred yards.
After a little effort it makes a big hole at 100. I have not even tried the 105 vld's that the rifle is designed to shoot. I don't shoot competition just varmints.
You will be happy with the 6br.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.