Got my gun... now I'd like to practice.

Anacua_tree

Howdy folks! I did an Introduction post in September last year and I've been snooping around this site every now and then but since I did not have a rifle I just never posted anything else. Well I bought myself a great looking 45-70 recently and want to start long range target practice. It's straight stock lever action, 26 inch barrel, buck horn sight but I want to practice with a ladder sight. Can hold 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. I'd like to get some of them heavy duty metal plates set up in the pasture. There's a long stretch of clearing back there that would be good for long range. I'll have to deal with the prevailing winds from the south east but it'll also be good for practice.

Congrats on your purchase!
As someone who has spent too much time setting, resetting, and picking up targets at our farm instead of shooting I wish you good luck! If they are permanent, plan, plan, test, plan. Some of the best ideas we had ended up being unusable when standing at the imagined target or shooting station. Or great from Shooting table but limited shots when prone, just little stuff we learned the hard way.
If they will not be permanent then the best purchase solution I have seen to date is the Yankee Thunder Hang N Hook set. Uses 1" EMT Conduit as legs and cross bar that you pick up at your hardware store. Nicest part is I can throw the conduit pieces, hook set and steel targets in a truck, side by side, or the bucket of the front end loader and go. No more hauling plywood everywhere. Probably just as easy as the gong or steel targets on chains but these seem more versatile for me as I can hang multiple targets with a few hooks and change them out rapidly. We have cut additional longer legs (60") for summer when grasses are taller.

Good Luck and Enjoy!