Caliber Choice...

djcompto

So here is a question that I will leave to the masses. I have been working on building a long range rifle. I have the optics selected, and I have a factory stock Savage 110 in the 7mm RemMag. I have been looking for an affordable heavy barrel to replace the factory sporter contour that is already on it. I am having a hard time finding a heavy varmint barrel in the 7mm Mag. I did however find a package that was the varmint contour in .308 that came with the go, no-go gauges, and the Savage barrel wrench for an amazing price...under $160. So now, I am interested in hearing feedback on whether to keep the rifle's original 7mm Mag caliber, or switch it over to .308. So feel free to toss in your $.02 worth on this one, I am looking for opinions about the two calibers. I plan to shoot mostly coyotes and whitetails, but would like to be able to shoot bigger game as well. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Dan

The 308 with a good long range bullet is certainly powerful enough for anything you listed on the menu. The 7mm Rem Mag will certainly be flatter shooting out to 500 yards or at any range depending on the bullet you use in the 7mm but bullet drop is easy to figure so if you get good with either, either will have plenty of performance to do what you want.

The only limiting factor may be the replacement barrel and its fit to your receiver. Being a rifle builder, I am not a fan of the one size fits all idea with prethreaded, prechambered barrels but most do shoot relately well.

Either will work fine, us as the pilot is the most limiting performance factor. If you practice alot and get proficient with either, you will be able to shoot out to very long distances.

The 308 would certainly be easier on the powder can as well as the shoulder.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dan,

Why do you (we) have to decide on one or the other? After you get the rig set up, it will take you 20 minutes to change to the other caliber. You will have to sight in each time you switch, but, is this going to be a problem?

You are going to have to change the bolt head or get another bolt for the rifle, although this is not a serious or expensive problem, you can add at least another $40 to the change-over. You can relieve the forend of the stock to fit the heavier barrel. There will be a gap on both sides of the sporter weight barrel after that, but if you can live with that, it certainly doesn't bother me.

Shoot which ever one you like, or best fits the game you are hunting.

Jim

And here I been using switch barrel rifles for the last twenty plus years and didn't know they aren't accurate. Oh well, ignorance is indeed bliss! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dj, Three weeks ago I bought the barrel set you're refering to. I also put it on a 110 action. I purchased a carbolite replacement stock (has pillars but uses a stiffer fiberglass material than savage plastic) took a bit of dremel tool work and a skim bedding job to get the fit/free float I wanted. Usually I load a few velocity check rounds. Then I make 100 "generic loads" to break in the barrel, and chamber fit the brass for future neck sizing. After I have the once fired brass neck sized I start accuracy development.

My generic loads shot 5 rounds into about 1.25" @ 100yrds. This isn't great but I know it will impove with load development. I'm shoting for .5 to .75moa realisticaly, this will be a 600yrd. whitetail rig.

Time to hit the timbered trails, now I have about 70 rounds of porcipine ammo to burn up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I own a 110 in 7mag. I think that if you are set on a heavy contour barrel that you need to go to Shilen or Hart and have them install their own barrel on your gun. They do a mighty fine job at it and you can choose your round, SS or not, and muzzle break or not and some contours that are just plain cool. You would be throwing away a fine long action if you went with .308. i would suggest looking at a 7mm STW or a 300 win mag. Just check out all of your options in magnum length rounds with a .532" head before you do away with the thought of a Magnum. That 7mag is no slouch either. I don't think it sounds like you are to a point where you need to get into wildcats, but that option is there also.

ummm won't the 7mm Mag bolt face pose a problem with the 308 base????

I am not a fan of Savage anything... and hardly ever does one size fit all for accuracy purposes....

but the 308 if good to 750 with deer sized game...

Ric,

[ QUOTE ]
ummm won't the 7mm Mag bolt face pose a problem with the 308 base????

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a serious problem. Savage bolts heads can be interchanged to fit different size bases. IIRC about $40 dollars will get the complete set up.

Jim

How does the 7rem mag shoot now? As a hunting rifle, a heavy barrel isn't necessary. I don't intend to fill the air with lead at my game. Usually, one or two is all I need and any sporter barrel will handle that.

Ballistically, the 7RM is head and shoulders above the 308. Wind drift, retained vel, etc are all much better. When hunting, we can't control the conditions so anything that can help me get the bullet to the boiler room is a must have. High BC bullets is a great start.

If recoil is an issue, a muzzle brake can be added.

The are so many awesome bullets in 7mm to meet your needs. Start there. You can always switch if you need to. I doubt you will.

Compare wind drift and retained vel/energy of a 162gr AMax/SST (BC 0.65) in 7mm going 3000fps with a 175gr 30 cal MK going 2600fps (BC 0.55). Big difference.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts