Question about H1000 and 338 Lapua

Even though I torqued the scope base screws to 30 inch pounds before scope mounting, they came loose. Cleaned the greasy holes and screws, and retorqued with Blue Locktight. I'll see how this holds up. Any advise would be welcome.

I hav been seeing this more than ever on other shooters rifles lately. Twice in the last 6 months. Both had started to egg out the holes and both were EGW bases. They had simply torqued them on. I always epoxy bed on every base I install. Not sure if that will help with the less expensive bases but it for sure keeps a quality base tight and in place.

Jeff

I hav been seeing this more than ever on other shooters rifles lately. Twice in the last 6 months. Both had started to egg out the holes and both were EGW bases. They had simply torqued them on. I always epoxy bed on every base I install. Not sure if that will help with the less expensive bases but it for sure keeps a quality base tight and in place.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Can you recommend a supplier of quality bases for the Savage FCP 338?

Jeff

Don't usually post over here because there is nothing long range around here except driving to work but....

Keep in mind Jeff that like Newton so aptly said..."A body in motion, thends to stay in motion until arrested by an immovable object".

You put a heavy scope up top and the inertia does bad things to what lies underneath, always.

I ended up taking the bases off my Savage FCP, cleaning up the thread and bases holes with acetone which had a lot residue. Used Blue Locktite, torqued to 35 in/pd, and let cure overnight. Seems to have worked so far... Will keep an eye on it. I really like the NF, but have to agree that it's a heavy scope, and does create a lot of inertia and stress on the mounts with the heavy recoiling rounds.

As a rule, I always look at the actual weight of the scope as well as all the components in any build because I don't want to be lugging a tank around and some scopes are appreciably haevier than others.

Scopes, bipods, levels, ACI's, sunshades and slings are all like unsprung weight on a vehicle.

I got a charge out of the post (a while back) about the guy hunting remotely with a 110BA Savage. I'm thinking this guy is either a 'mountain man' of superhuman capabilities or a person who just wants to carry around a tank, without wheels.

Good luck BTW. Loctite comes in many grades, holding strengths and cure duration. Blue is just the most common. I tend to use wicking grade 270 series. Application is as easy as assembly and then a dab of threadlocker.

I use H1000 and 300gr Berger's

In a 26" AR 30

92.0 = 2833 FPS
WRLM primers
Lapua Brass
300 gr Berger Elite

My AR 30 with Scope and bipod weights about 15lbs.
I use this mostly Bear/Moose hunting on my ATV.

I guess you call it my mobile shooting platform (MSP) :)

In my Rem 700 MLR 338 Lapua im getting 2830 fps with 93 grs of H-1000. It gives me 5/8 to 3/4 MOA accuracy. I did not get as good ES with H-1000 than RL-33 in my 338 Lapua IMP. though = go figure? RL-33 gave me 3025 fps at 105 grs = with a 9 fps ES. H-1000 gave me almost 3000 fps BUT a 18-25fps ES in 10 shot strings. Both were with 300 OTM Bergers.gun)

In my AR 30 in 338 Papua

91.0 of H1000
2783 FPS
300 Berger
Lapua brass with WLRM primer

92.0 gave me 2833 FPS with my target of 2800 FPS
I backed off 1 grain for 2783 FPS
Since it was very accurate I decided to stay with it and the excellent 300gr Berger G1

In my AR 30 in 338 LM

H1000 @ 91.0 to 91.5 ( load I settled on is 91.5 that gave me 2800 FPS)
300gr Berger VLD
Lapua Cases
WLRM primers

2800 FPS

Very good load

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.