Problems with new gun

Barrel has been nitrided from what I've been told nothing penetrates that I pretty naive on nitriding. Had another 20 moa rail on before was fine maybe this one is a 30 moa have to check that out
I used to nitride a few barrels at a time and you have to spend some serious time cleaning, like clean it like you hate it!! I have pretty decent stuff for cleaning barrels and even using KG bore polish and evey manner of stuff I put a good two hours of serious work with the barrel in a barrel vice till I'm happy.

Last edited:
My brother has a new gun it's a tikka action brux barrel in 6.5 max barrel has been nitrided inside and out first 15 shells through no problem went to the range the other day and one bullet through target looked like the bullet was tumbling perfect silhouette of bullet next bullet looked like it had mushroomed through target went home checked everything crown was a little rusty no gouges or grooves in crown but gunsmith recrowned it 3rd time we went out could not even hit target one bullet would hit 8 feet low and 3 feet right next roun would be 6 feet high and 3 feet to the left please help no idea what is going on. Bullet 140 eldm powder vitahouri n165 55 grains cci 250 mag primers.
It's a scope issue, most likely…
I don't think it's barrel related..

Carful with that bore scope and your other rifles. They tend to make folks think they need new barrels. I wouldn't be surprised if they start coming with coupon for new blanks lol
I would check the twist , if it's a 1-7.5 or faster you may be spinning the jackets off of those 147 gr eldm bullets , it sounds like a over stabilizing of the bullet , or something going on with the nitriding . Post # 37 from Idaho Lefty is on the right track . If I were a betting man I bet that barrel is a 1-7.5 or faster , too fast for 147 eldm s that can be a good thing in the long run , keep us posted.

We are going to try Berger 156 next. Stock and barrel have been check
I have same gun but bartlein barrel
"If" your rifle is all set up and your barrel has the same twist rate as your barrel, you might consider shooting his ammo/load off yours as part of your troubleshooting. Or your ammo/load to his rifle—just a thought for your consideration. Good luck!

"If" your rifle is all set up and your barrel has the same twist rate as your barrel, you might consider shooting his ammo/load off yours as part of your troubleshooting. Or your ammo/load to his rifle—just a thought for your consideration. Good luck!
I am shooting same ammo/load that he is

Recent Posts