New gun, might have a problem, need your input

GetReel

new Christensen Arms ELR 300WM bought yesterday. BNIB.
Got home to try and cycle some ADG brass, was tight and came out kinda dinged, scratched. Started to clean the rifle and found tiny metal shavings on the swabs and (IMO) excessive carbon/copper build up. Carbon/copper build up could be from test firing, I get that, but, the metal shavings? Enough to ding my brass....

What are your thoughts? Return it or still take it out and break it in?

Attachments

• 2C82B1E3-D58D-4E14-8EF7-7B10E832EA96.jpeg
    2C82B1E3-D58D-4E14-8EF7-7B10E832EA96.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 207
  • 7FDB0EB2-9081-4B37-A7AA-B65380E17FD3.jpeg
    7FDB0EB2-9081-4B37-A7AA-B65380E17FD3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 241
  • B64241C5-2FDA-49B0-9DC7-BF852C0514FA.jpeg
    B64241C5-2FDA-49B0-9DC7-BF852C0514FA.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 193
IMO it would be a good idea to chamfer the necks inside and out, run through a FL die, verify trim length, seat bullet to max COAL and see how it fits.
the brass you have looks like it's needs chamfering anyway and is kinda dinged.
All brass was chamfered. Those dings are AFTER chambering....

What they said ^
Metal shavings, grease, oil and the such can be normal from factory barrel. Think the assembly line process and spraying oil on it for shipping all over the country. The opposite would be true for a premium/custom barrel shipped directly to you.

I had one that did this. Sent it off to Mountour county rifles and had Kevin cut the factory chamber for 215 Berger's. He also worked on the extractor so it wouldn't bend the case mouth. Before I sent it off Christensen said the cases were being dented by hitting the scope just after extraction. Of course I eject them into my hand so they never touched the scope, ground or anything but my hand.

I had one that did this. Sent it off to Mountour county rifles and had Kevin cut the factory chamber for 215 Berger's. He also worked on the extractor so it wouldn't bend the case mouth. Before I sent it off Christensen said the cases were being dented by hitting the scope just after extraction. Of course I eject them into my hand so they never touched the scope, ground or anything but my hand.

I controlled the extraction and it was ok.
I ended up cleaning whatever it was causing the scratches out of the chamber.
Shot 15 rounds to break in the barrel and use as sighters. Everything worked like it should.
I have 35 more rounds of a mild handload I'm gonna fire, then start working on developing a load.
I hope it all works out.

new Christensen Arms ELR 300WM bought yesterday. BNIB.
Got home to try and cycle some ADG brass, was tight and came out kinda dinged, scratched. Started to clean the rifle and found tiny metal shavings on the swabs and (IMO) excessive carbon/copper build up. Carbon/copper build up could be from test firing, I get that, but, the metal shavings? Enough to ding my brass....

What are your thoughts? Return it or still take it out and break it in?
Call the company before you fire and have a talk. At least you can get it documented before firing. They may not even want you to shoot it after seeing above pictures.

Update....
After a thorough cleaning, I talked to my dealer, he said shoot the rifle, they have a 30 day return policy. So I took it out and shot it to break it in. Everything is good.
Time to work up a load.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.