Hart Barrels - I need your input

I say talk to Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles and see what he will quote you. He's just a 3.5hour drive north of you kinda in the Williamsport area of PA. Does great work and he will get the barrel you want plus whatever else you want--it will be top notch work, no worries.

Not only can you call him, but you can go see it for yourself.

Matt

Rebuilt my 40xb remington 300wm in a Mcmillian A-5 sniper stock. Rifle was built by Clarience Hammonds. Two weeks later won the Allegheny sniper challenge. Won it again that fall. Will shoot one holes all day if I do my job.
Building a 338 RUM now.
Nuff said.
Clarence built me a 257 whby in the early 90's with a hart barrel 1/2 moa rifle. is he still in business?
Mike

hart barrels are among the finest. they come from new york where rw hart is in pa. as someone mentioned. actually they are related. at one time when i was shooting ibs hart was the # 1 winning barrel. now in this era there are quite a number of barrel makers to choose from making it tougher of whom to choose from. my last hart barrel i received was about a year ago, they turned it out in 3 weeks. i do agree with an earlier post have everything done under the same roof. 1 check for complete package and you know who to contact if a problem. good luck with your build.
mike

I agree with the above post and others recommending that one guy do it all. Also, make sure that the one guy is a CUSTOM rifle builder with a good reputation. (one size does not fit all) We are blessed with a lot of good barrel makers these days and Hart is one of them.
There are some good custom builders right here on this site that you might want to contact........Rich

I just ordered another Hart barrel yesterday. Talked to the man himself, his wife runs the office but needed to be out for the afternoon so he was watching the 'store'. We had a nice conversation, and, shortly into it, it was easy to tell I wasn't just talking to another machinist, I was talking to a craftsman. I've only been using their barrels since this last spring when I felt I was getting "jerked around" by another custom barrel maker that I had done business with for almost 20 yrs. So far, I've been completely staisfied with the barrels Hart produces. The S.S. he uses seems to machine much nicer than the other I was using and the barrels I've used (7 since April) all preform to expectations and beyond. I'll be on the phone again today for another as after my conversation with Mr. Hart, another customer brought a re-barrel job in, and wanted, you guessed it, a Hart Barrel.

Last edited:
I always shot Hart barrels in 1000yd comp. I can honestly say they clean better and shoot better than most barrels I've seen. I won lots of shoots with them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I've only been using their barrels since this last spring when I felt I was getting "jerked around" by another custom barrel maker that I had done business with for almost 20 yrs.

I would be very interested in knowing who that bbl maker is. If you would, please PM me so I don't buy a bbl from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.