Problems with new gun

Also, if you remove the brake from the barrel, and take a bullet- drop it into the brake and see if it gets caught or falls through. Could be it is getting caught passing through the brake. Might need to take a chainsaw file and dress up the interior of the brake so there is no obstruction.

It's a tikka. Spin the barrel off and spin on another one. If it gets better, it's something with the barrel (not the brand) or load. If it stays the same it's something else. Maybe I missed it but is the stock been checked for barrel clearance?

Twist rate is supposed to be 8 he has taken everything off got a new 20 moa rail it's crazy we can't hit paper at 100 yds
I had a similar experience with a 20 MOA rail. We forget that these rails are designed to let you spin the elevation turrets down from center to give you much more elevation spin at much longer ranges. Therefore, try hitting paper targets at about 25 years then 50 years and you will see bullet path climbing high very quick, so you must sight in way below bull at say 25 yds to even be on paper at 100yds. I admit, this was a head scratch for me when sighting in my TikkaUPR .308, wasted way too many rounds trying to figure things out.
I subsequently removed my 20 MOA rail for traditional scope mounts that I could understand. Might switch them again, now that I know what going on.

We are going to try Berger 156 next. Stock and barrel have been check
Great, just be sure to clean, the Barrel thoroughly First and use some JB's, slathered over, a Patch on, a Bronze Brush ( 8-10 Strokes ONE way ) to, smooth out any barrel "roughness" that, you may have. This should, fix your Issues without, further anguish or, cost !
Then, be sure to clean any/ all, Residue of JB's, out of, the barrel or, you'll get, sky high, Pressures !
Good Luck and let us know, how it went ! PS; don't forget, to back off a Couple of Grains of Powder with that, Heavier Bullet !

Last edited:
Had to jump back in....can't say with 100% conviction, but some barrel mfg's state emphatically to NOT use JB on a bronze brush!!!! They have bore scope pictures of the lands and grooves being "grooved" and basically ruined. I use jb paste(blue color print on jar ) on a jag with patch, or the VFG pellets I have with holder. PLEASE read and maybe even call Brux barrels to see their opinion of using a bronze brush and jb's.... Once done, it can't be undone....rsbhunter

Barrel has been nitrided from what I've been told nothing penetrates that I pretty naive on nitriding. Had another 20 moa rail on before was fine maybe this one is a 30 moa have to check that out

True, nitride might negate that problem, I know when I have had mine done, I was told that carbide tooling should be used because it made it so hard...my statement was referring to plain ss, as well as the patch on brush might make a difference. Forgot you had nitrided bbl.rsbhunter

I also have a 6.5 Sherman Max on a Tikka action and Brux barrel. It shoots bugholes with Hammers. Didn't have it nitrided. Never have, and don't know anything about it. Got several rifles with Brux barrels. All have been great.
Wish I could help! Sounds like plenty of suggestions to try?

I also have a 6.5 Sherman Max on a Tikka action and Brux barrel. It shoots bugholes with Hammers. Didn't have it nitrided. Never have, and don't know anything about it. Got several rifles with Brux barrels. All have been great.
Wish I could help! Sounds like plenty of suggestions to try?
What is your load for your 6.5 max