Problems w/ Ohler Crono

nitrousmudbogger

Have any of you ever had problems with your Ohler cronograph. Ours gives way false readings with in first fifteen feet. Have put it out at a 100 with better results but what a pain!
Yes I have tried new bat, cloudy and bright days, switching the leads

Call Oehler... Every time I have had an issue I have called and either spoke with Ken or his wife... both are great people and know their stuff, very helpful people

Call Oehler... Every time I have had an issue I have called and either spoke with Ken or his wife... both are great people and know their stuff, very helpful people

+1

The other possibility is that the muzzle blast is causing problems. If it works at 100 yards and not
up close you may need to build a blast shield to keep the shock wave from giving false readings.

The high intensity loads and the big bores are bad about this and require more distance or a blast
shield.

J E CUSTOM

Ive been dragging my feet of calling or doing anything because I heard they dont sell to the public any more. I will give em a call.

Where did you hear that??? When they stopped making the 35(p) they stated they would still support them, also made the 35P and sold them to the public last summer... not sure if they are available yet or not.

Going to edit... NEW 35P is available http://www.oehler-research.com/cgi-...-P.html?L+scstore+qhwf1090ff35f935+1308804654

+1 you are very likely tracking muzzle blast gas, rather than the bullet; back up the screens a bit further and see if that cures your issues. Depending upon the cartridge I am testing, as close as 12 feet from the muzzle is not a problem. With some it seems more like 20 feet is needed.

Jeffvn

I bought a new 35P from them last fall. They were a special run that was supposed to run for awhile. I just checked the site and they are listed as available.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.