Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

Been happening for a while now but it just seems to be push something out there we don't really need as it already exists just to try & get a monopoly going.

No more Moore's I say 🤣
Lol, yeah the thing about the creedmoor & 6.5 prc case is that lots of folks think that you can stuff a 170 cal 277, 180 7mm or 230gr 30 cal into it and have an instant short action wonder. Both of those cases are restricted to 6.5 & less for it to correctly work in a short action and the 6.5 prc is on the fine line of fitting into standard short action mags

I like the idea of a 7mm prc based on the 300 prc. But I think the "future" is with higher pressure rounds. Ala Hoplite arms and the sig .277 fury. Hoplite is getting close to production rifles and will be offering high pressure rounds for their rifles. Time will tell but one thing is for sure..... speed kills
Edit: Why hasn't anyone made a 6.9 yet?
obviously the best caliber!

Last edited:
25 is ripe for the taking, but I don't think there will be something to match the perfect storm that the creed has hit with.

the timing it landed with, as the internet became mainstream, as YouTube became info for prospective gun buyers, as long range target became cool, as hunting became cool again I just don't think itwill be matched for some time. It's not done either.

If the 7mm Rem Mag, 270 Win and other successful cartridges had been launched in a time where we have all these social media platforms and access to everything via online through not only computers, tablets and smartphones they would have been bigger sensations like the creedmoor. The time the creedmoor was launched mixed with Hornady's successful and persistent marketing campaign it was going to be a success, and it is a great long range shooting cartridge and good for medium range hunting (yeah I know I will kill an elephant a mile away and whatever).

The market is saturated with all sorts of calibers and cartridges that, do we really need anything else? What can we come up with that will kill better, faster and further? Will we finally see a Magic Bullet that will kill everything at all ranges with the highest BC ever?

I know new things are cool but for me personally with what is available is more than enough.

Being a lover of .284 cartridges, I would like to see some more development along those lines. I've got a 25/284, a 6.5/284 Norma and a 284. The 25, and the 284 are old Mausers and the 6.5 / 284 is a new Savage LRH. I've other weapons but, those 3 are the most intriguing to me, and I know with my combination of calibers I can hunt anything in the lower 48, and maybe then some

Last edited:
Not caliber, not cartridge, but advances in bullet technology for high BC and reliable expansion. This will leverage the existing optics technology that is outpacing current advances in caliber, cartridge, and bullet and necessitate new barrel twist rates for existing calibers.

.257 Win. Short action. Heavy for caliber bullets(125-130gr.) 3000fps(not 3300 or 2700fps) for HFC bullets(Nosler, Berger are you listening). I would much rather have this than any of the 6.5's. I have a 260AI I think is great, but. I am not a LR target shooter, purely hunter, who likes to be able to shoot extended range without mortgaging the house.

I have read this thread with great interest and can see why so many efforts of the past to introduce new products to the buying public fell flat on their face. Wildcatters will always exist. And they will always make a very small percentage of the shooting consumers. Even when major ammo and gunmakers introduce a new cartridge, it never really becomes popular until other companies make guns and ammo for it. 6.5 CM became popular because shooters realized that they had choices for buying ammo and wouldn't have to handload unless they wanted to.

Any new cartridge introduced that doesn't have broad industry support will remain in the wildcatter/handloader realm. But the real money (profit does indeed matter, since these companies have shareholders to answer to) is not with the wildcatter market, the money is largely still in the hands of Joe Deer Hunter. Joe doesn't handload and he really isn't that great a shot, but he wants to be and he's looking for an easy shortcut way to do it. Joe is the guy you may feel sorry for at deer camp because his successes are few. But there's one thing for sure about Joe--there's no amount of money he won't spend on the promise of something better that doesn't require a lot of work from Joe. That's the appeal of new cartridges, magic bullets and clever products to improve Joe's hunting/shooting without Joe having to do anything to improve himself.

That's where the big money is and has been for decades. All the successful money-making pushes in the shooting industry have taken advantage of Joe for decades. And that is alright, because Joe knows it and he's happy with it. He still sights his rifle in with a paper pie plate at 25 yards and mutters "close enough" before he goes hunting. But he still can't wait to try something "new and improved."

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.