Practice Rifle

Texanhunter34

How many hunters/shooters can really say they shoot to much?

Looking to get a factory rifle that I can practice shooting long range. I was thinking a Rem 700 with a heavy barrel in .308 win.
Sounds practical, easy gun to have work done on. Non- expensive rifle. Cartridge is easy to load, won't ever burn the barell out. Doesn't use a lot of powder. Accurate round. Low recoil. But can still go out to 1000 yards.....

Any other rifle/ cartridge combo to consider?

gun)

That was one I was looking at. The VLS also caught my eye. Something about the wooden stock and blued barell. Is yours all stock or did you have any work done to it?

Remington 700 5R MilSpec .308 Win with a 24" barrel will do exactly what you want, and very accurately right out of the box.

MudRunner - Where are these available. I don't see them in the standard catalog.

Been thinking/looking along the same lines. Decided I don't want another bull barrel (been there done that) but if I could find a 24" barrel with a 1-10" twist I sure would be interested in owning my first .308 win.

the adl varmint at dicks is like 499 with a 4-12. maybe you have a higher budget. then the 5-r. the best practice round is the 6mmbr. 30 grains of varget and a 107 . no kick. i rebarreled a 700 vs and added a davidson single shot ramp. shoots in the 1's. put a 36x BL with a dot.

Been thinking/looking along the same lines. Decided I don't want another bull barrel (been there done that) but if I could find a 24" barrel with a 1-10" twist I sure would be interested in owning my first .308 win.

I can stabilize Berger 210 VLD's with a standard 5R 11.25" twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.