Practice Rifle .223 or 6.5 creedmoor

Got a lot of time on a 22-250.
You didnt stipulate range for this "practice rifle" , dont think. Under 300 the 22 caliber , over 300 the 6.5 for sure.
For now, will be under 300 yards. If I decide to get into longer range, I'll opt for a 6.5 or .308......will give me an excuse to buy another gun :)

To me 223 is a no brainer. Cheap to shoot or reload, easy on shoulder, good for coyotes and varmints as well.
Ditto. Just plain fun to shoot to boot. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Savage 110 in .223. I don`t know how close it would mimic your Brownings in feel, but is a very accurate gun. Got it for casual range and the occasional predator/pig excursion.

Last edited:
A good 22LR bolt action is cheap and very unforgiving of bad shooting technique.

I know it's not a .223 but, for training, don't overlook the benefits of a 22LR or even an air rifle. The nice thing about an air rifle is that you can shoot in your backyard for frequent practice that is super cheap. Springer air rifles do require a little different shooter technique though they are good for overall shooter skill.

FWIW - My 223 was my main training rifle for about 8yrs. until I realized that my recoil management skills were suffering severely.
Now my main training rifle is a 308. I shoot the 223 while the 308 is cooling down.

I prefer my 223 running an 80-90 grain bullet. High for weight bc so wind is about the same as a creed but low low low. Recoil for spotting shots and micro tuning out shooter errors. I run a suppressor too and it's extremely enjoyable to shoot.
Do you have a custom rifle? I cannot get mine to stabilize bullets greater than 75 grains. What bullet do you load? I would try it, I would like to shoot a longer pill for deer. All three of my rifles are 1:9. Thanks.. Happy shooting.

I am with TheSouthpaw on 223. If you reload get some 80 gr Sierra Matchkings and get a Sierra loading manual and look for the "Accuracy Load" at the bottom of the page. I did it and per page 222 of the 5th edition it calls for 23.5 gr Vihta Vouri and gives around 2500 FPS from a AR15.

If you zero for 300 yards you will impact 5.84" low at 100, 6 7/8" low at 200 and 16" low at 400 yards.

At 300 yards it delivers 661 ft lbs of energy.

My car rifle is a Ruger American Ranch Rifle w/ 10 shot mag and it will also take 20 and 30 round AR Mags. I installed a AR flash suppressor on mine and cut about 3/4" off the butt and now it is 35 5/8" long.

At this time I have a red/green dot 3MOA aiming device.

I have 3 rifles, a crappy Remington 597 .22 LR and two Browning X-Bolt's (7mm-08 and .300 win mag). To improve my shooting, I am thinking about getting another X-Bolt in either .223 or 6.5 creedmoor. The practice X-Bolt would be a dedicated practice gun and would be used if I do a little predator hunting. Between the .223 or 6.5 creedmoor, which would you get?

Asking because I want to keep the 7mm-08 and .300 win mag as dedicated hunting rifles and the round count down on them.
If you want a cheap practice rifle I would suggest a 22lr bolt gun. 22lr ammuniton is alot cheaper than .223 or the 6.5 Creedmoor. Practice is all about muscle memory anyway. I have used a CZ 22lr bolt gun and a pellet gun to practice with. I actually use a pellet gun that I can shoot in my backyard. I have noticed that I can concentrate on sight alignment and adjustment, breath control, trigger control and follow through that when I go to the range with my high power rifle that I am a more consistant and better shooter. Practice, practice and practice some more.