Practice Rifle .223 or 6.5 creedmoor

I have 3 rifles, a crappy Remington 597 .22 LR and two Browning X-Bolt's (7mm-08 and .300 win mag). To improve my shooting, I am thinking about getting another X-Bolt in either .223 or 6.5 creedmoor. The practice X-Bolt would be a dedicated practice gun and would be used if I do a little predator hunting. Between the .223 or 6.5 creedmoor, which would you get?

Asking because I want to keep the 7mm-08 and .300 win mag as dedicated hunting rifles and the round count down on them.
Practice your trigger pull.
A very easy way is to bag a rifle up, lay a dime on the end of the barrel, skinny barrel works best, a rifle that has 2.5-3lb trigger pull.
When you can sit behind that and not make the dime fall off then you will be starting to train your brain and finger to work together

I have to agree on a fast twist .223. I would spend more effort on getting the scopes similar and the triggers as close to identical as possible. I would not worry about duplicating the weight of your other rifles. If the 223 is lighter when you pick up the heavier rifles they will be much easier to shoot well either off a bench or from a make shift rest as when hunting. The heavier bullets, 77 to 88 grain, will amaze you in the wind. As others have said to learn to shoot in the wind you have to shoot in the wind. I am always amazed at folks who don't go to the range when it is windy.
Kind regards

I have to agree on a fast twist .223. I would spend more effort on getting the scopes similar and the triggers as close to identical as possible. I would not worry about duplicating the weight of your other rifles. If the 223 is lighter when you pick up the heavier rifles they will be much easier to shoot well either off a bench or from a make shift rest as when hunting. The heavier bullets, 77 to 88 grain, will amaze you in the wind. As others have said to learn to shoot in the wind you have to shoot in the wind. I am always amazed at folks who don't go to the range when it is windy.
Kind regards
My .300 win mag has a Leupold VX5 3-15x44, the 7mm-08 has VX3 3.5-10x40. Planning on getting another VX3 3.5-10x50 or 4.5-14x50, leaning to the 3.50-10x50.

The only reason I was thinking about staying with browning was due to the similarities with my other rifles. Does that really matter or is it more important to get trigger time?
IMO it does, which is why I run four Schultz & Larsen Victory rifles from 22-250 to .375 Ruger.
Same length of pull, same cheek weld, same controls, so muscle memory eliminates hesitancy.

6.5 cm is going to give you a bit more recoil and in my opinion that's good for training. You can get away with a lot with a 6.5 cm and even more with a 223. .308 would be a great choice also

I have a tikka 223 with a proof barrel and manners stock. It is easily my favorite rifle to shoot. Shoots 1/4" 5 shot groups with factory Norma Match 77 gr. I'd def go 223.

Do you have a custom rifle? I cannot get mine to stabilize bullets greater than 75 grains. What bullet do you load? I would try it, I would like to shoot a longer pill for deer. All three of my rifles are 1:9. Thanks.. Happy shooting.
I run a 1:7 twist for 88's. I was shooting last weekend to 800. It's a heck of lot of fun

I run a 1:7 twist for 88's. I was shooting last weekend to 800. It's a heck of lot of fun
Same, 7 twist 223 AI and it runs everything I' tried 80gn+ well. Hornady ELDs and Bergers so far, about to try V-Maxs next.

Do you have a custom rifle? I cannot get mine to stabilize bullets greater than 75 grains. What bullet do you load? I would try it, I would like to shoot a longer pill for deer. All three of my rifles are 1:9. Thanks.. Happy shooting.
Get one rebarreled to a 7 twist. Bugholes has multiple 7 twist options in stock right now, I know a guy here in TX that will do the work for $300 plus S&H if you don't have anyone local that can do it.

Recent Posts