Practice Rifle .223 or 6.5 creedmoor

mww982

I have 3 rifles, a crappy Remington 597 .22 LR and two Browning X-Bolt's (7mm-08 and .300 win mag). To improve my shooting, I am thinking about getting another X-Bolt in either .223 or 6.5 creedmoor. The practice X-Bolt would be a dedicated practice gun and would be used if I do a little predator hunting. Between the .223 or 6.5 creedmoor, which would you get?

Asking because I want to keep the 7mm-08 and .300 win mag as dedicated hunting rifles and the round count down on them.

Last edited:
I have 3 rifles, a crappy Remington 597 .22 LR and two Browning X-Bolt's (7mm-08 and .300 win mag). To improve my shooting, I am thinking about getting another X-Bolt in either .223 or 6.5 creedmoor. The practice X-Bolt would be a dedicated practice gun and would be used if I do a little predator hunting. Between the .223 or 6.5 creedmoor, which would you get?

Asking because I want to keep the 7mm-08 and .300 win mag as dedicated hunting rifles and the round count down on them.
I prefer my 223 running an 80-90 grain bullet. High for weight bc so wind is about the same as a creed but low low low. Recoil for spotting shots and micro tuning out shooter errors. I run a suppressor too and it's extremely enjoyable to shoot.

Both are great choices but since you have a 7-08 I'd lean towards the .223.

The Browning is certainly a great choice but don't discount others like Tikka, bergara and savage. They have more aftermarket options.

It may be hard to find in a factory rifle but I'd be looking for the fastest twist I could get allowing for 70 plus grain bullets. With a little balastics research you could likely find a bullet that somewhat mimics the drop and drift of your 300.

I would also have a smith turn it into a 223AI but I have a serious rabbit hole hunting problem. 😉

Both are great choices but since you have a 7-08 I'd lean towards the .223.

The Browning is certainly a great choice but don't discount others like Tikka, bergara and savage. They have more aftermarket options.

It may be hard to find in a factory rifle but I'd be looking for the fastest twist I could get allowing for 70 plus grain bullets. With a little balastics research you could likely find a bullet that somewhat mimics the drop and drift of your 300.

I would also have a smith turn it into a 223AI but I have a serious rabbit hole hunting problem. 😉
The only reason I was thinking about staying with browning was due to the similarities with my other rifles. Does that really matter or is it more important to get trigger time?

I have a 260 REM as a dedicated practice rifle. And a 223 REM 700 varmint that serves double duty, hunt and target/practice.
The 260 is for the over 400 steels when the 223 starts to fall off. Both have good triggers and sub moa accurate, which are parameters necessary for practice.
Here is the 260

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69