Practice for Antelope: My Opinion

kraigwy

Antelope Season here in Wyoming Area 7, goes from Oct 1-15. Fifteen days, leaving 350 days to wait for Oct. 1st, Plenty of time to get ready, but how?

Find a range: This is an abandoned gravel pit on blm land, 2 miles from the house. You can get 2000 plus yards.
IMG_0056.JPG

Set out a target, then drive all over the area, stop, range the target, adjust for light and wind, and shoot. Move to another spot, different angle, different range, repeat, and repeat again. As often as posable, you have 350 days.

Do this on windy days, sunny hot days, cold rainy or snowing days (this is Wyoming, you find such days during antelope season, this year it snowed so far, every month of the year. I think its silly to restrict your practice to fair weather days.

I got some full size antelope targets from MidwayUSA. They are fun, this one was shot at different ranges from 300-800 yards. Using my Model 70 6.5 and Savage 338 LM.
Antelope%20target.jpg

A heck of a lot of fun. Im not pushing for extreme long range 600+ antelope hunting, but IMO this certainly helps my chances at 300 or so yards.

It builds confidence in you and your rifle/load.

Another little hint: I carry a Smith J-frame loaded with bird shot. More then once, while crawling up a hill stalking critters I came nose to nose with rattlers.

We've used the picture targets for everything for years, and its maybe the best type of practice Especially with new hunters. Fire a round, walk to target, and discuss the likely outcome of each round fired.

Knowing what the animal will look like in the scope, what's vital, what's not, shouldn't be an assumption.

LOL No, I've I went to the 6,5 the last few years, I just took the 338 Lupua out to practice with it and used the same target.
Yeah that was kind of my reaction...338 on a lope...wow lol. If I can ever draw a tag in Wyoming (7 points) I was going to take my 280 AI or one of the Creeds.

4 years I was a 340 Wby freak, used it on everything that moved from chucks to elk. Bottom line it was one of the most accurate combo's I've ever had (700, Brown Stock, 3-10 Leo and a 4 weight Schneider). It worked just fine on the lopes.

For targets my grandkids enjoy the animal one's for myself and my wife we just use paper plates. Inexpensive, and effective plus they'll tell you in a hurry to what ranges you and your rig are capable of 1st round hits each and every time. ....:). We do this work off the ground via a day pack or bipod, o bench work for this practice.

Have a super day all!

More important than shooting skill is knowing the game.

Antelopes have three defenses. Eyes, herd behavior and speed.

Keeping out of sight, top quality camo and using the terrain are the keys to killing a nice buck.

If you pretend you are trying to stalk within air gun range of a P-dog village you well on the way.

Nothing like the thrill of getting close enough to hear them vocalizing to one another.

Congrats on your tag !

You can also shoot a few field based precision rifle matches every year.That is probably the best indicator there is, as to one's ability.

Great system, and advice from the OP! My system of practice is quite similar, randomly seeking rocks or dirt clumps sizes in the .5-1.0MOA range that enable hits to be spotted, with feedback on wind effect. I agree that PD shooting(400-1000 yards), if available, is probably one of the best forms practice you can get. Use your antelope rifle/load to learn that rifle. The effects of mirage and wind well represent what you will experience with antelope hunting. Regardless of the target, "One" shot per range/target....then analyze! Try to fully understand misses! Once the basics of shooting consistency, load, and positional shooting are mastered, it's all about "fast" and accurate ranging, and wind determination. IMO.

Great points, especially only shooting in good weather, whenever I end up hunting the weather hardly ever cooperates, practice in wind and especially anytime there is rain or snow, Kraig I look forward to seeing you again this year, hope all is well with you and family.

Really like your pratice sessions, also knowing your limitations, all helps.I have been carrying birdshot in a 4 5/8 ruger then switched to the Smith J frame. During a archery hunt was crawling with a decoy back in the 80's and had to kill a 5 footer with J frame. I have always hated snakes. Ran into a few in Wyoming. New Mexico is the worst state i have hunted for rattlers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.