Powder Prices - good lord

If only all my guns used black powder. Easy to mix, and a rock tumbler, with SS tumbler and SS ball bearings, make it mighty fine with a low chance of mistaken ignition.

I am thankful I purchased enough powders and bricks of primers. Whenever the price was reasonable, get a bit more.

I do wish I had had the foresight to purchase more bullets.

I got two alerts from Powder Valley this weekend. It was for availability of 2 powders. I had put in an alert for RL16 and AR-Comp. The link they provided was for the 8# jugs, one of each, that I set in the alert for some time ago. I clicked each link and it automatically loaded them in the cart and put me on the website. Very convenient. I scrolled down, expecting a hefty bill, but not that hefty... almost $1,100.00 and Hazmat shipping wasn't added yet. When I came to, I checked for injuries from falling out of my chair, called the neighbors to let them know that the screams they heard were from the tv, clicked delete, delete, and wept for three hours. Ok... most of that is bs but the price sure wasn't.

I learned how to make decent black powder a few years ago. Decent enough to sub it in for GOEX in a pinch. At this rate it won't be long and all competition will be with muzzle loaders and flintlocks.
So I read through a bunch of these posts about the price of AR-Comp. I've honestly never used or sold any. It's not the type powder I use in rifles I deal with regularly. I own a small custom rifle shop and I'm also a dealer in ammo and reloading equipment. So I got curious about what's going on with these ridiculous prices on components. I looked at dealer prices and found lots of AR-Comp in stock. To make it worth while to buy I would have to charge about $65 per pound which is still a bullshi@ high price. But to sell say Reloader 50 I can make a decent enough profit by selling at about $55. Still way too high in my opinion but not the point. I don't pretend to know the science behind making powder or the subtitles of how the components are mixed. But why would it cost the manufacturing company $15 more to make AR-Comp than it does to make Reloader 50. Maybe I'm looking at too small a picture but it seems like the most expensive component in the powder may be the popularity of it. If anyone is making huge profits on this stuff I assure you it's not the small retailers. I would love to find out what a compnay like Scheels pays for it. If we follow it back through the supply chain that's going to show who is gouging prices. Any other opinions?

I went to Cabelas today.
At the end cap of the powder / bullet aisle, they had a shelf of 'personal sized' K-Y.
I wonder if the employees mixed up the end cap thinking it was Bore Butter?
You never know! 🤣

IMG_1384.jpeg

So I read through a bunch of these posts about the price of AR-Comp. I've honestly never used or sold any. It's not the type powder I use in rifles I deal with regularly. I own a small custom rifle shop and I'm also a dealer in ammo and reloading equipment. So I got curious about what's going on with these ridiculous prices on components. I looked at dealer prices and found lots of AR-Comp in stock. To make it worth while to buy I would have to charge about $65 per pound which is still a bullshi@ high price. But to sell say Reloader 50 I can make a decent enough profit by selling at about $55. Still way too high in my opinion but not the point. I don't pretend to know the science behind making powder or the subtitles of how the components are mixed. But why would it cost the manufacturing company $15 more to make AR-Comp than it does to make Reloader 50. Maybe I'm looking at too small a picture but it seems like the most expensive component in the powder may be the popularity of it. If anyone is making huge profits on this stuff I assure you it's not the small retailers. I would love to find out what a compnay like Scheels pays for it. If we follow it back through the supply chain that's going to show who is gouging prices. Any other opinions?

And why is IMR $45 a pound

And why is IMR $45 a pound
Demand