Ramshot Magnum good powder?

I definitely recommend load development!
I used different powders, COAL, and grain weight. Same bullet (Barnes 180 gr. TTSX) and different cases. CCI Magnum primers.
I found no difference in case manufacturers but did ensure cases were within SAMMI specs.

Its a pretty good powder in magnum calibers and fairly slow burning.

You will get more velocity though from Accurate Magpro
which is a very similar powder.
I give the edge to Magpro over RS Magnum though.

Veteran,

My reloading sheets show AA Magpro, is that the same powder you're referencing?

It appears the AA Magpro is about two grains less in the load data than RS.

JC

I use Quickload. It will compare every bullet for all the powders and shows max load velocity and charge for everything.

It always shows higher velocity at max load for Accurate Magpro vs. RS Magnum in my 300 WM 150 gr. bullets.

Here, if you really want H1000.

Here it is:

Veteran,

You're always on top of things.

It's very much appreciated, thank you!

JC

It's NOT temp stable, it will speed up in hotter temps. I've used it with decent success when it's hot outside, but only with loads developed while it's hot outside.

Just something to be careful with during the winter months, don't drop a max-pressure load into the rifle in July without putting some thought into it.
John Barsness found it to be nicely temperature resistant in his very carefully executed trials.

It is stellar with 115 Partitions in my .257 Roberts. I've run it in a bunch of bigger cases too and it's never been
bad."

Cheers,
Rex

I agree with you but MagPro is FAR more temperature sensitive than Magnum. My results with the 270 WSM show MagPro at 1 FPS per degree ambient temp change. Magnum was less than half that. MagPro shot great at lower temps, but as the mercury climbed, it pushed it right out of the node and started opening up groups (no pressure issues, just must have had a narrow node.)
My understanding is MagPro was invented for the WSM series of cartridges and it does shine there, if a little temp sensitivity doesn't bother you. As an AZ resident who also hunts annually in MT, I have become very "sensitive" (LOL) to how temperatures effect powders in the last few years.

Cheers all,
Rex

I tried both when I couldn't get anything else and they were okay but the SD numbers were never consistent with either. I would get a couple through or near same hole and a flyer with higher or lower velocity. My targets would like the one on left posted earlier. Pretty good for a close range hunting rig but not the LR I was looking for. Tried in 243 win, 270 win, and 300 win with same results. Tried 3 different primers as well. If someone figures it out please let me know.

Here are the temperature sensitivity charts including both Accurate Magpro and Ramshot Magnum.
Magnum is a little bit less sensitive, but in the over all scope, and what ever your intended use is,
and what temps, you will shoot in, may not be a big factor. I believe the numbers are FPS per Degree change.

powder temp sensitivity and burn rate.gif

Here are the temperature sensitivity charts including both Accurate Magpro and Ramshot Magnum.
Magnum is a little bit less sensitive, but in the over all scope, and what ever your intended use is,
and what temps, you will shoot in, may not be a big factor. I believe the numbers are FPS per Degree change.

View attachment 526700
I'm screwed! All of my favorite powders are the most temp sensitive. The good thing is I only develop in 80+ temps.