Ramshot Magnum powder

steelersfan

Has anyone tried the Ramshot Magnum powder in the 25-06 or the 25-06AI. It seems to me that the data is limited other than from Ramshot. I load for a 25-06AI and I am using 7828 S/C and Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips and the load works well but the thought of a powder that measures better and isn't as temperature sensitive sounds good. There doesn't seem to be anyone within 150 miles that handles it so I will have to pay the hazmat which I don't mind if I think it will work good for me. Appreciate hearing from anyone who uses it or has used it with good or bad results.

If your shooting 100 grain bullets in 25-06 you don't have enough case capacity to use anything much slower burning than 7828. That S/C powder just spits out of my RCBS electronic measure.

Have you tried R-22. You would use about 1.5 less grains of R-22 than 7828 and my chrono speeds were nearly identicle

I am loading the 25-06 AI and seem to have plenty of room, in fact that was one of the reasons I was thinking about the Magnum powder. Even though its a ball powder its slow enough that I should be able to come closer to filling the case and still keeping the pressure down. I tried the RL22 but in my rifle the accuracy wasn't as good and again it left more room in the case.

Yes the AI hold @ 7 more grains of powder than a normal 25-06. Without a chrono it's guess work. Go ahead and try ram shot and maybe even H-1000.

I'm able to use H-1000 in my 270AI with 150 and 169.5 grain bullets because I have 29 inches to burn it up.

Thanks for the input, I think I will give the Ramshot Magnum powder a try. I have a chronograph but unless I seem to have pressure problems I usually look for the accuracy I want before I check the speed. I had my 25-06AI built by Hill Country Rifles in Texas and had them put a 28 inch Lilja barrel on it to help with the slower burning powders.

Steelersfan,

You don't happen to do any shark fishin in your spare time do ya?

Also what area do you live in, gimme a holler and I might be able to hook you up with some of the Ramshot powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.