Ramshot Magnum?

MtPockets

Hello all,

I'm looking at loading some 260 Hammer Hunters in my .338 RUM with a 30" barrel
Trying to decide on a powder. I've heard H1000 is the easy button, but what about Ramshot Magnum?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Ron

On the Internet they are both considered terrible. 🤔. The only thing I have seen is one of the guys in our circle had a rl26 load over pressure in cold temp. Below zero. Personally I think too much is made of temp sensitivity. I try not to develop in cold temps to the ragged edge and then take that load out when it is 90*. When we load develop in the cold I try to keep the ammo room temp or body temp right up to the point of firing the shot.

I'm just like everyone. I too will start to doubt my powder choice and then switch to a powder with a better reputation even though I give up performance.

I used it in 243 AI and 300 RUM - it works fine.

It is temp sensitive, several times moreso than something like H1000. 80* isn't a great test because that's not really all that hot, it's barely early spring around here and we're past that point. I got great speed out of it when it was 110* outside last summer, but vertical was all over the place. I normally shoot when the sun is coming up and temps are in the high 80s and low 90s, these loads pushed themselves right out of tune by shooting in the afternoon. If 80 is as bad as it gets for you, you'll be fine.

The difference in 80 and 110 is the difference in freezing and some sunny 60 shorts weather 🤣

Conrad Mondamtana 😉
Brother GF Scheels had some earlier this year, but they went quickly. People are discovering that Magnum is perhaps one of the best-kept secrets when the H1000 is scarce or non-existent. They are also cheaper. As others noted, I do not have any issues with temperature sensitivity because I do not do load development in summer. The average temperature difference from load development (Sept) to fall hunt (mid-Oct - late Nov; except for shoulder season) is ~30F +/- 10F.

I will watch for them for you; text me your wish list and see what transpires. Midsouth occasionally carries them for online purchases, but it goes quickly too.

Cheers!

Ed