How good are powder measures

maggragg

I´m quiet new to handloading, and I was wondering how accurate manual powder measuers are vs. manual weigthing and electronic dispensers like the chargemaster 1500.

I know that the measures are fast, but how accurate are they and how good is their repeatability?

Is much diffrence between like Harrel powder measure and like RCBS uniflow?

The powder measures CAN be accurate but you must learn how to use them I use them about 1/2 the time and just plain measure and trickle the rest. If you learn to be consistant with your working the measure you will get accurate loads. I like the redding br3 or 3rm can remember. It works pretty good. If you want a good powder measure by nothing less than the redding . this is at the bottom of the decent stuff. Which leads to your last question The Harrel is far and beyond better than the RCBS. No real challenge there. If you want a great measure and you can afford it buy the Harrel with out a doubt.

Rh

The Harrel is best but learning to throw is paramount.

Try this, raise handle up to top of stroke and stop, count to five, lower handle. No tapping or hitting the side. If you cut a kernal on long kernal powder just pull through slowly and continue on down.

BH

It doesn't matter what powder measurer you use, they are only accurate to one degree or another. Your consistancy and technique are what matters. Any change in the process will affect your results.

Here's an example. I use a Redding 3BR. When I add the powder and adjust the micrometer, I will throw about 5 charges, THEN weigh a charge. I then make another adjustment, ten throw about 5 charges, then weigh one. Everytime I throw a charge, I return the powder to the measurer.

The reason for doing it this way is that the poweder settles differently with every adjustment of the micrometer. For example, I had a friend over a week ago and was teaching him how to reload. I had him throwing the charges and measuring every one on my scale. There was a point where he had to add powder to the measurer and forgot to adjust it. After a few charges, he said, "you know, this thing is way off all the sudden!" And I instantly knew what happened.

I guess my point to this is that if you keep your technique in check, your measurer can be very accurate, but measuring every charge is VERY important.

Electronics measurers are supposed to take care of these problems, but I haven't used on that has been fast enough for my liking yet.

Okey, So these measures are quite good. What kind of equipment do BR shooter use and for Match.

Can I expect +-0.1 grain accuracy with a good meaure or is it less and what is the most accurate way to measure powder?

You don't have to develop a "technique" for the Chargemaster. Just push the button and it dispenses the charge no matter what type of powder you use. The automatic dispensers are doing nothing more then trickling and weighing each load so what can be better then that. When I first go mine I checked it periodically for accuracy and never found an error in the weighed charge.

Most of the BR shooters, that I shoot with, use custom measures. The Harrells', Bruno, Neil Jones and Culvers are most popular. As already stated above, technique is very important. Some shooters have gone back to weighing each charge. This is very hard to do when loading outside at a match. Most of the people weighing powder are loading inside a trailer or motor home.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.