Accubond's - how good are they?

elkfirst

Accubond\'s - how good are they?

I've just loaded some 225 grain Accubonds for my Tikka .338 and must agree that this combo is about as accurate as I could hope for. I can't really quote a group size as it nearly keyholes a three shot group with 69 gr. of IMR4831. Great accuracy, but what about the bullet's performance? The salesman did a good sell job, but then I've been hearing that weight retention is only about 60% on a bull elk at 120 yards. The animal was cleanly killed and as far as I'm concerned, the bullet did the job. Is there too much emphasis placed on bullet weight retention? I'd sure like to hear from someone's actual hunting experiences with these bullets?

Re: Accubond\'s - how good are they?

My experience with them has also been on whitetails(around 10)with a 300wm. I've only recovered one bullet, it retained just under 70% of its weight after going through both front shoulders.

I liked them well enough to make them my first choice to try in a new 7mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally I think they are the best commerical big game bullet on the market.

Good price
Good heavy bullet weights
Extremely accurate in most cases
Penetrate very well at all ranges
Expand well at long range

Personally I think they are a much better bullet then the old standby Parition and in my penetration tests have proven to penetrate deeper as well while shooting better.

Very good bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

I would agree with Fiftydriver as they are probly one of the better bullets out there, for several reasons mentioned. They are accurate, have good b.c., penetrate and expand well at all ranges. I have used the 200g version in my 300 RUM on a small 5x5 bull elk last year at 512 yards. First shot hit him behind the shoulder, basically he was dead elk walking, but I shot another as he was going uphill away from me, I missed that shot, then he walked back down and stopped broadside for me to put the 3rd shot on the spot of his shoulder which quickly anchored him on the spot! Both bullets exited, **** it anyways, I was hoping to find one, but it didn't work out that way, even though the 3rd shot went directly through his shoulder bones. I am also shooting the 110g out of my 25-06 with surprising accuracy. 51g of H-4831 is routinely shooting .5" at 100 yards. I'll have to wait till deer season to try them out on game though. I also shoot bullets into a penetration/expansion test. It is just wet/soaked newspaper stuck together in a cardboard box. It does however simulate basically what I want to know of a bullet. I dont have them right here in front of me, but I know that 200g Accubond went lengthwise through the first box at 50 yards. Cant remember exactly the weight, but know they were around the 60%-65%. Your 225g should prove to be a real killer. Just wait till you shoot an animal with them.

I'm hardly an authority but used them on a caribou hunt and took a nice bull at about 375 yards (they were lazered @ 308 yds. but my buddy had first shot and they bolted. When my bull stopped he was quartering head-on and I took him center of chest with a 160 gr. AB from my 7mmSTW. I really wanted to recovery that bullet but it made exit and was lost. The bull dropped on the spot and the exit wound behind the left shoulder was about the size of a quarter. I will use them again.
Good Hunting, Festus

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, it gives me added confidence that I made the right choice. I'll be getting after a bull moose as soon as the season opens and should have a post to share my experience. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.