eletronic powder measures

Yes, but with a 10-10 scale when loading for hunting/target loads. For bulk .223, no.

Depends on the usage and how hot the load is.
Average turtle shooting 284 out to 800 or so, probably not.
LR stuff yeah, or anything close to being a hand grenade.
223 no way.

Though I'm a newbie, I'm starting to shift over to electronic only (Chargemaster 1500). Using the Uniflow thrower, I was getting a 1.2gr spread on 4064 with a 42.5gr load; seemed ridiculous. Granted, it's extruded powder and doesn't throw nicely. What powder spread are you guys getting? I'm thinking of getting a second CM 1500 so I can be consistently alternating between loading powder and seating the bullets.

I run the chargemaster and double check every load on a gempro 250. I am only loading for accuracy (not bulk 223 stuff or anything).

I really wonder if I need to do that, as it does add time. A national f-class competitor I know doesn't bother doing that. I wonder if going to that level of load accuracy would really make that much of a difference for what I do (do not compete, just shoot and hunt).

Still, for now, I continue doing it get the best result I can.

For a good while I checked CM charges with a higher resolution Acculab scale.
Eventually I modified the CM & got to where I can tell & drop to single kernels, and sold off the Acculab.

As far as how accurate you need, the load will tell you that with testing, and there is no other way to know really.

How did you modify it? I get a fair number of overthrows, and it would be nice to be able to tailor that a bit.

I put a motor speed adjustment in play & calibrate per powder.

Attachments

• CMmodsSM.jpg
    CMmodsSM.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 72
  • ScaleMod2SM.jpg
    ScaleMod2SM.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 69
Wow, that is some setup. Way past me.

As to the straw method, if you mean putting a straw inside the tube, yes I am.

My first one had to be sent back, as they apparently had a run of bad ones. They sent me another one, it is a bit better, but I still get probably 20% bad throws using h4350, by bad throws I mean it ends up at 45.1 instead of 45 (on the RCBS scale) for example. When compared to the gempro, I would say at least half are off by .04 grains or so.

Still, it is a hell of a lot faster than the way I was doing it before, which was to throw using an RCBS manual thrower and then trickle up with the GP250, which is horribly slow to respond and drove me nuts.

This way is much faster, even with the bad throws.

Using the straw method and adjusting the speeds and stop points for each speed made a BIG difference for me - now much faster and usually 20 out of 22 - 24 throws dead on. Reference old posts of stickies. Good Luck.

I have 3 completely different charging methods. A lot depends on load development with that rifle and the intended use.

During load development with an OCW test if you can find a really wide accuracy node then it is possible to have an accurate load that charge weight can vary as much as 3 tenths of a grain or more. In that case most any charging method will result in accurate loads.

I use a chargemaster for hunting and general use rounds. Check loads on a gempro for consistency. Try to keep them +/- .1 grain

I use a harrell powder measure and a gempro with my portable range reloading setup. Again strive for +/- tenth grain.

For precision long range loads i drop charges with the powder measure. Trickle on a gempro with a little dandy to +/- 0.03 tenths. Then verify on a second gempro. It is faster than the chargemaster but requires more concentration. Does make a difference but to see that difference you must have quality brass preped correctly, benchrest primers and quality dies with good reloading procedures.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.