Portable table

I resize and seat with an arbor press on the shooting bench next to the rifle. LE Wilson bullet seater, and K+M makes a nice kit including a case. I think the extra money for the Sinclair's version of the mic seater is worth it compared to the standard mic seater. I still measure with calipers and a comparator but the detents make adjustments for seating depth tests easier.

Lee makes a great handheld press, I believe the Lee Breech lock hand press. I had a relative that used one exclusively for years and after inheriting it I use it as a mobile unit, when doing seating depth work I seat bullets long and then adjust depth at the range. When not traveling I have it rigged up with blocks and lock it in a vise for use mostly seating but also bullet pulling. No need to have different dies as with an arbor press

Has anyone ever done some sort of portable table to set a press up on at a range? Not resizing brass at range, just seating bullets
I made up a table mounted to a trailer hitch receiver and would slide it into the receiver on my truck at the range. Problem is that it isnt very level. All I had on it was a single stage press. I never liked opening powder outside and I only used it to adjust seating depth. Sometimes I slide the bullet out a bit sometimes in a bit. Very handy for that kind of fine tuning. If you have a trailer hitch already then you are halfway there. Make friends with a welder, very good friend to have. Forster makes a micrometer seating depth die that makes things very simple and repeatable. https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-ultra-micrometer-seater-dies/

I take a press to the range at times. I have an inline fabrication quick detach plate that allows me to swap the press from home and at the range on a generic power tool stand that works great.

I also have the lee hand press that i use to swage bullets for my muzzy at the range. Have never tried it for more traditional reloading purposes.

Attachments

• 16597126706586389969096250650804.jpg
    16597126706586389969096250650804.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 16597127437018246604861870116562.jpg
    16597127437018246604861870116562.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have gotten those quick change plates also. I like them so far. Order out more for different equipment also. Interesting bench you have there. Is that something that can be purchased or did you build it?

Last edited:
I have done different things with the hitch and used it. Hadn't done anything like that, but very interesting.
This method exposed a problem I had with bullets jumping forward during recoil in the magazine. I'm sure that just that one day with my seating set up saved me weeks of chaos and confusion. Along with this set up a good dial caliper is required along with detailed notes, thus the repeatability that I talked about. I go to the local Christmas Tree Shop or Ollies or Target and get a bunch of school supply notebooks for just that purpose. My final load records go on my computer with an external solid state drive so I don't lose my hard work. It also required that I get a second single stage press which I found at a yard sale for $25. The press and die take a lot of cleaning after being out in the wind and dust at the range but its worth the effort.