Portable reloading box

crowsnest2002

I picked up a spare press over the weekend and for some reason I felt like I needed another project. So with a stair tread, a few spare oak boards, a dewalt battery circular saw, impact driver, and drill this is what I created for around the house. I figured I'd share because google didn't really have any ideas other than the stands for the presses. I kept the shelf detachable in case for any reason I wanted to load at a range I could use the main box as a wind block.

Attachments

• 467623B4-84F0-4324-AEB3-71D6B872BC05.jpeg
    467623B4-84F0-4324-AEB3-71D6B872BC05.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 1,452
  • 00B0FEB2-0E0C-498B-8C04-6BAF8DF1F07B.jpeg
    00B0FEB2-0E0C-498B-8C04-6BAF8DF1F07B.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 614
Wow, when I first looked at the OP, I said "stair tread" gonna be heavy! But then I realized that there's a press mounted to the top of the unit and it has to be heavy to handle the pressure of resizing. Is the plan to clamp the reloading box to a bench? I think the removable insert is a great idea also. Looks really nice.

Been tossing that ideaaround for a while also....
You just beat me to it...good job...
Couple of 6" bench clamps and hook it up about anywhere...if you are gonna use it on your tailgate a couple pieces of plush carpet on the face of the tailgate is smart too..

I'm thinking about a mounting idea for the press. I haven't really got to that part yet, it's just clamped on there for general idea. I was going to mount on the bottom of the box with removable wing nuts and then use clamps for on whatever surface. Then I put it on top and cranked on the lever and it seemed more sturdy because the box is wider on the bottom and it didn't seem to pull forward as much. Wherever I mount it I'm probably going to reinforce it with a flat piece of something. And make the press removable with bolts and wing nuts for transportation. Suggestions or ideas?

I have some pieces of microlam....weighs a little....but solid materials...actually that is what i used in the house bench...
I picked a couple pieces of same material in stair treads..again a little heavy but solid material....predrill it wherever and you shouldn't ever have a problem....and yes..concept of bottom plate sticking out further than plate that press is mounted to is very smart idea....keep it from rocking forward.....

I picked up a spare press over the weekend and for some reason I felt like I needed another project. So with a stair tread, a few spare oak boards, a dewalt battery circular saw, impact driver, and drill this is what I created for around the house. I figured I'd share because google didn't really have any ideas other than the stands for the presses. I kept the shelf detachable in case for any reason I wanted to load at a range I could use the main box as a wind block.
Nice work and a great idea.
I was considering making a portable press which would attach to my bumper hitch. I head out to the middle of nowhere and then a few more miles to do ammo and skills testing with only the beauty of God's earth as a distraction. My largest is 338 LM, resizing requires a bit of force.

I'm about to do something similar, I use my arbor press and Wilson dies when I want to be in the house and when I need to full length size I go out to the garage where I have a large bench and a Rockchucker II. Your base indicates that you understand fulcrums and levers. I was a cabinet maker for a good while and your work is square, proper screw placement and well thought out. You could likely make some of those and sell them if you wanted a little side business.

I bought one of these for use at the range: http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/combo-press
386_image.jpg

I'd estimate the c-clamp mount bracket's throat to be about 2", but I can measure that if there's interest. I went with this one specifically because it can be used with both threaded dies and arbor press dies.
It is very nicely made, clearly a lot of thought went into it. I need to figure out how to mount it. Since we have a camper I'm thinking to use it as a mobile reloading 'room', but the camper's table isn't sound enough to simply clamp it to that.

I'm about to do something similar, I use my arbor press and Wilson dies when I want to be in the house and when I need to full length size I go out to the garage where I have a large bench and a Rockchucker II. Your base indicates that you understand fulcrums and levers. I was a cabinet maker for a good while and your work is square, proper screw placement and well thought out. You could likely make some of those and sell them if you wanted a little side business.
Although not to me. My grandfather was a carpenter. He built many homes in Big Bear and Redlands. He passed skills to dad who passed to me. If you missed your cut you get another piece and do it right
View attachment 143753 View attachment 143749 I have on I built as well, I have used it a couple times and it works. I always do all the singing and prep work at home. I have an inverter to plug into the truck to run the Hornady scale.
Nice, and the territory looks wonderful.
To make your inverter work full time you will need a 2 position switch, wire, 12g & 18g, a 12vdc 2 position relay. Find the relay which causes trucks inverter to activate, add a fuse & wire to switch, then new relay coil. Have NO contact supply 12vdc to OEM coil. 12g wire is in case you need to run high amp wire to relay(s). Switch to off *** when not needed, I forgot, I carry a back up battery.
I can find and post wire diagram if anyone needs it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.