Reloading Table or Bench

I have a steel workbench, the top is 10 gauge steel, 8' long, 2' wide, and I bolted it to the wall in my basement. Nice and sturdy. There is still some small vibrations that come through from the press to powder measurer, but if I load the bullet while it begins dispensing, I'm done before the last trickle and works very well.

Maybe think about some of the formicaed cabinet tops at
Lowe's/ HomeDepot or other places....
If you have a Habitat for Humanity local you could save big if they have parts and pieces....

I have a conditioned storage space that I built a bench in place. My advice is build it taller than you would a normal workbench. I found the constant bending wore me out when really concentrating on weighing powder. And definitely go as big as you can, there is never enough room!

I made my table top 38" or 40" high and it works way better than the standard table height.

I used 2x4's and a white table top that I believe I got from Menards. It's solid and heavy. I then waterjet out a 2'x2'x1" aluminum plate to mount items to, press, vise, whatever.

Mine was very inexpensive and seems functional to me. The cabinets were from a demo ( friend) 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood screwed and glued together and a few coats of urethane. Note the press is over a small span of the plywood.
bench.JPG

I used a reject 2x4 laminated beam, 10 ft/ long and 2 ft. wide. It is solid and quite a bit of room.
I use a 36in by 12ft 2x4 laminated beam. So it' 3.5 inch think and I clear span from end to end. A fat chick can up on this and it and you can hardly see movement. In the top that is.

I have a steel workbench, the top is 10 gauge steel, 8' long, 2' wide, and I bolted it to the wall in my basement. Nice and sturdy. There is still some small vibrations that come through from the press to powder measurer, but if I load the bullet while it begins dispensing, I'm done before the last trickle and works very well.

Hi. I saw your post on steel reloading table, and wanted to ask your opinion. I am thinking on making a reloading table out of steel, and was wondering if there is any problems with static electricity using steel. I see most are made of wood, but I have the steel, and welder and am going to make one if there is no problems using steel. Thank you. Dan

Hi. I saw your post on steel reloading table, and wanted to ask your opinion. I am thinking on making a reloading table out of steel, and was wondering if there is any problems with static electricity using steel. I see most are made of wood, but I have the steel, and welder and am going to make one if there is no problems using steel. Thank you. Dan
I've never had a problem. I would paint it though. I have an electronic scale and it works fine

If your worried about static you could ground the table as is done for ESD protection in the electronics industry.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts