Planning my 40 yo birthday present

This rifle doesn't have to be able to handle anything larger than a white tailed deer. I already have a 30-06 and see no reason to go for anything bigger. On the top of my caliber list are 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Win and 6.5x55 SE. I'm not looking for a safe queen, but for something that will see a lot of use and I want to shoot it a lot. Thus the super ultra magnums are not a preference and I don't really think I need one for these purposes.

I am also patriotic enough to only consider Sako and Tikka actions. They are for obvious reasons by far the most common where I live, and I have nothing against them, they both are excellent products. Most likely this will be a selection between Tikka T3x and Sako TRG. TRG is kind of a dream rifle for sure, and I have absolutely no reason to think I wouldn't be happy with one, but a T3x action is a very tempting basis for a build as the amount of stocks, accessories and other goodies is unlimited. Practically I don't think a TRG would do anything a Tac A1 or CTR in a nice aftermarket stock wouldn't do, except that only a TRG is a TRG.

TRG-Green.jpg

20210508_153641.jpg

I had my heart set on a TRG for years, after travelling to a gun store that stocked all the high end rifles (AI, Sako, Styer) and having a play, I wasn't impressed for the money, as none of them seemed to fit exactly what I wanted.

That's why I went custom built, and built a rifle from scratch with all the components I wanted, it takes time and patience, but it's worth it in the end.

Not sure where you live and how hard those are to come by now though.

I'm pretty sure the custom will not be my choice, but I'm curious to learn what is it that @Black Hat got with the custom rig he didn't find from the factory rifles? Not trying to argue which one is better, but I'm curious to learn. If it's just the will to build a custom, that's more than OK as well.

I'm pretty sure the custom will not be my choice, but I'm curious to learn what is it that @Black Hat got with the custom rig he didn't find from the factory rifles? Not trying to argue which one is better, but I'm curious to learn. If it's just the will to build a custom, that's more than OK as well.
Have you put a Trg in your hands? Not sure how you hunt deer and moose, but if you are shooting from a tree stand or prone position then with a Trg you would be ok. But to hold a bare naked 12-15 lbs rifle off hand and make a good shot at distance isn't going to be easy. When I build a custom gun I get exactly what I want, not what a manufacture wants me to have. I also get better accuracy.

My hunt is sitting in a blind (with a relatively good shooting table) or on the edge of a field, waiting for the animals to appear. In this case the rifle is either resting on a rock, treestump or similar or then I use a tripod or StableSticks type of a support. Practically no need to shoot offhand. If I want to go stalking or on driven hunt, I have other tools for that.

Last edited:
My hunt is sitting in a blind (with a relatively good shooting table) or on the edge of a field, waiting for the animals to appear. In this case the rifle is either resting on a rock, treestump or similar or then I use a tripod or StableSticks type of a support. Practically no need to shoot offhand. If I want to go stalking or on driven hunt, I have other tools for that.
To me that screams chassis with an arca set up. Good news is, you got a bit a time to figure it all out.

308 for cartridge as you've got so many factory ammo offerings and numerous options for hand loading.

Rifle, seems like you've made your mind up already so go with the SAKO. Or…. Get a Tika action and build a rifle exactly as you'd like it. Going custom you have the ability to build exactly what you want. Usually results in a better barrel, better trigger-so many options, and a chassis or stock that fits you as you want it. If you do it mindful, and shop sales, you can also do it very affordably. Going with a Tika build gives you what you want and also keeps you brand loyal as you had previously mentioned

To me that screams chassis with an arca set up. Good news is, you got a bit a time to figure it all out.
That's an alternative. But as it's often freezing and snowing here I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy a chassis. It's super cold to handle and gathers snow inside it.

I'm sure a Tac A1 or similar would be a super nice rig on a warm day on the range though. But I think for occasionally carrying around and holding when it's freezing I think a laminate or KRG Bravo ot TRG stock might be more enjoyable.

Tac A1 is still very high on my list and I really like many things in that.

That's an alternative. But as it's often freezing and snowing here I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy a chassis. It's super cold to handle and gathers snow inside it.

I'm sure a Tac A1 or similar would be a super nice rig on a warm day on the range though. But I think for occasionally carrying around and holding when it's freezing I think a laminate or KRG Bravo ot TRG stock might be more enjoyable.

Tac A1 is still very high on my list and I really like many things in that.
I hunt all winter for predators and yes a chassis is cold. However, I use gloves anyway, so it's doesn't matter. When it's 10f out I'm not doing anything without gloves and if I do it's not for long. As far as snow, a chassis doesn't hold snow like a stock. It falls out.

IMG_6231.jpeg

I'll try and remember some of the reasons for you and list the things that didn't tick the boxes with the factory rifles.

* Stocks felt tacky and uncomfortable. (Styer particularly)
* Parts and accessories are super expensive and captive.
* Barrel length, twist rate and contour seemed a compromise.
* unavailable to single feed without dropping the mag out (AI).
* fit and finish was disappointing (TRG Specifically).

I know modifications could have been made to alleviate some of those things, but seemed pointless to spend big money to go on and have to make mods.

In a custom build, all components are of your choice, and can be made to your specifications, like chamber dimensions (throat length), knox length, contour, length and weight of barrel, fluting if desired.
Stock, action, trigger, bottom metal of choice.

Mabey I'm just pedantic and a Sako, Styer or AI already ticks your boxes for your specific need!

The only rifle I have that isn't heavily modified or custom biuld is my grandfathers Lithgow .303

This has been one of the best Posts out there with a lot of conversation and different views. A lot of "Funny" and also age dated material.
If you are looking for:
Vehicles:
63 Split Window 327 Quad 4 Speed Candy Blue Vet
69 Mach One Fast Back - Red W/Black-White Stripes 351 Hurst 4 Speed
69 Road Runner - Green 383 double 4 Barrel Auto
63 Olds 389 Triple Duce- Silver - Automatic

Rifles:
Model 70
700 Rem CDL

A Date:
And if you have no money, no job, not good looking and wanting a date get a 6.5 CREED!

One alternative might be to get a Tikka T3 or Tikka T3x action and start building a rifle around that. So not fully custom, but customish.

Most likely it would be something like
-T3 action around 600€ or so used
-KRG Bravo, Sako Green 600€ or a nice laminate stock. Though I have told myself to only buy stocks that do not require bedding. I've done it couple of times, I can do it, but I still don't enjoy it and it's not as solid as a aluminum chassis like in TRG, Bravo or Oryx and such.
-Varmint contour stainless barrel in a 6.5mm caliber, most likely Creedmoor. Also 260 Rem could do. Most likely something like 650€
-Two stage trigger, apparently a TRG trigger could fit. Maybe 200€
-Spuhr mount straight to Tikka action mounts, maybe 300€
-Steiner M7xi 4-28x56, already bought.

There was a new Howa Sporter in stupid .243 caliber in an ugly laminate stock for 500 euros at a local store which is a great deal if I'd need a gun in .243 right now. I'm somewhat interested in Howa actions but I guess I'll have to support my local which is the Sako/Tikka. This T3 build would still cost me something like 2300ish which is enough to buy a new Tac A1 or even a used TRG-22 so not sure if it would make any sense though.

I have to admit I am jealous about the prices of guns and accessories in the USA. The plain vanilla T3x lite with a crappy plastic stock is something like 1190 euros which is almost 1300 dollars. That would require a new barrel, new stock etc to match my desires. Though on the other hand a CTR would most likely be a good deal and it only costs 300 eur more and comes with a 10 round magazine, thicker barrel and picatinny mount which would make a lot more sense. Just replace the stock and you're good to go.

Also one interesting possibility would be to buy an older Tikka M65 or M55 action which were manufactured in Tikkakoski before Tikka and Sako joined forces. There are often M55 and M65 Sporter versions available for something like 300 euros. Some of them may be in excellent shape and they are quality actions with quality barrels. I currently have one with a pencil barrel in 30-06 with a Sporter stock and it's a nice thing but I'd like a bit thicker barrel. One downside with these cheap and great actions is that there are not many stocks available; basically it's either a full custom or KRG laminate or KKC laminate. And again it needs a bedding job...