Planning my 40 yo birthday present

Make sure the new dream rifle has a threaded barrel and order a suppressor for it. The suppressor can take a year. So Order it soon enough for your BIG 40! It will probably be the best shooting gift you can give yourself. ;)

Yup, I'll say it again... the 308 struggles as a rifle cartridge. It has a tough time staying supersonic to 1,000 yards. It's better as a mid range cartridge in a bolt action pistol.
You're cracking me up.

It will make it there super with a 169 SMK, 175 SMK, 168 TMK, 175 TMK. That's just what Sierra has to offer. I'm sure you can get a Berger offering to get it there as well.

Plenty of bad guys have fallen to 7.62X51. Probably even more game with the .308. All in the rifle format may I add.

You're cracking me up.

It will make it there super with a 169 SMK, 175 SMK, 168 TMK, 175 TMK. That's just what Sierra has to offer. I'm sure you can get a Berger offering to get it there as well.

Plenty of bad guys have fallen to 7.62X51. Probably even more game with the .308. All in the rifle format may I add.
I'll never own a 308 in a rifle. I have a pair of 300win and a pair of 300 rum rifles. If I do anything, I'll go bigger. The only standard 30 I have in the house is a 30-06, and that is only a 30-06 because I don't like tearing down accurate rifles. I've got a 280 barrel in the corner that was supposed to go on the 30-06. The dang 30-06 shoots well enough that I'll shoot it out first or buy another action...

The best thing to do with a 308 is neck it down. I currently neck down any 308 brass I buy or find to 7-08 for my pistol.
As to the 308 staying supersonic to 1K., you have to actually make speed. Most times I've chrono'd a 308, it is a good bit slow.
I don't hate the 308, but if I ever own one it'll be a pistol. I've shot some awesome groups with a 308 in a pistol. My Pops had one that would get down to 1/4 to 1/3 moa in calm weather if the shooter held his own.

This will be a long and slow process, but I want to thoroughly enjoy this ;)

I'll turn 40 in couple of years and I've been considering getting myself a "dream rifle" that would serve me for decades at shooting range and hunting.

I already have couple of rifles, namely the following:
- Thin barreled 30-06 in a sporter stock with a Zeiss 3-12x56 scope on it. This is my "main gun" I use for most of my big game hunting which mostly consists of white tailed deer and moose. This is a nice compromise gun that is not too heavy to carry around, but is adequately accurate and fits most purposes. When hunting in dim light the big Zeiss is a nice thing.
- 223 Varmint in a laminate stock with a 4-16x44 semi-tactical mildot scope. This is my small game stalking gun and also serves me at the range as it is nicer and cheaper to shoot than the larger ones.
- 22LR for plinking and practice
- 17 HMR as a light carry-around small game rifle.

Generally if I'd really be missing something, it'd be a larger bore carry-around rifle intended for shooting off-hand in rapid situations. However, I could relatively easily modify my 30-06 to that if I want to by changing the scope. But what I'd really _want_ (not need) is a rifle that is suitable for longer range practice and hunting. And I think 40 yo birthday is a good time to get something I want ;) There are sexy magnum calibers out there, but I would like something I am comfortable shooting and does not wear my shoulder, my wallet or the barrel out too soon; I want to be able to actually use and shoot it a lot.

There's couple of alternatives I've been wondering. I have a strong preference towards Tikka and Sako rifles, so that's most likely what I'll get but it's not 100% sure.

• Sako TRG-22 most likely in .308 Win. Would fit the bill nicely, and I have a feeling I'm not ready to die before I have a TRG. The ultimate dream would be a Sako green with a 20" barrel.
    • Pros
      • This is currently on the top of my wanted list
      • Should not need much tweaking
      • Handles abuse and hard use
    • Cons
      • Insanely expensive
      • Heavy
      • All accessories cost gold
  • Tikka T3 CTR with KRG Bravo most likely in .308 Win.
    • Pros
      • Almost as sexy as TRG
      • A LOT cheaper
      • Lots of stocks and other accessories available
      • Most likely shoots pretty much as well as TRG
    • Cons
      • Not a TRG
  • Remington 700 and a nice aftermarket stock
    • Pros
      • Something a bit different than what most other people here in Scandinavia use
      • Good aftermarket accessory availability, though not as good as the Tikkas have here
    • Cons
      • A bit boring
      • Not made locally
      • Apparently might need some tweaking.
  • Custom - not really interested in this due to spare part availability, cost and other reasons
  • Something else; what and why?
Also the scope becomes a question. I have a good twilight scope and would like to have something that is usable for hunting but it doesn't have to be the best twilight scope. The thing would be the S&B 5-25x56 PMII of some kind but it again is a bit overkill and expensive... or is it? I'm currently in no hurry and I want to enjoy the decision making, so my opinions may and will change several times before I'm 40. Also, things may change and I may need the money for something else or decide I prefer something else than a rifle :D
Take a look at the Bergara HMR series. The barrels are great and they shoot excellent!

The 308 struggles a lot on being a rifle cartridge. It's actually better in a bolt action pistol. Even then, a 300 wsm is better.
Curious, why does the 308 struggle? It was not and never claimed to be a caliber used for 600+ yard shots. You can if you find the need. Some folks do this. And some of these folks are very good at it. Its a relatively soft shooting caliber that will take any game in NA with the exception of large bear. Yes it is 600+ yard constrained. Personally, I never had the necessity to take game at more than 425 yards. But thats just me. Taking the "1k long shot" requires skill that most dont have. And most likely never will. But we try. Acquiring a gun that will do it costs quite a bit. Its your money. Not to mention deciding on a capible caliber. Add all this to individual training and capability.

Suitable for a bolt action pistol? Really?

The bottom line: Whatever caliber you choose must be matched to you and the task at hand.

Like you said, you already have a 30-06. Build a 6mm BR with an 8 twist barrel. It would serve all of your purposes well and be the most accurate rifle you ever shot with good components and ammo. It'll get you over 200 rounds with a pound of powder as well.

I'll never own a 308 in a rifle. I have a pair of 300win and a pair of 300 rum rifles. If I do anything, I'll go bigger. The only standard 30 I have in the house is a 30-06, and that is only a 30-06 because I don't like tearing down accurate rifles. I've got a 280 barrel in the corner that was supposed to go on the 30-06. The dang 30-06 shoots well enough that I'll shoot it out first or buy another action...

The best thing to do with a 308 is neck it down. I currently neck down any 308 brass I buy or find to 7-08 for my pistol.
As to the 308 staying supersonic to 1K., you have to actually make speed. Most times I've chrono'd a 308, it is a good bit slow.
I don't hate the 308, but if I ever own one it'll be a pistol. I've shot some awesome groups with a 308 in a pistol. My Pops had one that would get down to 1/4 to 1/3 moa in calm weather if the shooter held his own.
Huh…well…we'll have to agree to disagree. I have three .308 rifles. I would love to get another.

To the OP…I just bought a Tikka CTR chambered in .308 and it's the bee's knees! Highly recommend!

Take a look at the Bergara HMR series. The barrels are great and they shoot excellent!
The HMR Series are great rifles.....but as i looked at closer at their Premier Series I couldn't resist & the day i walked into my LGS & saw a Ridgeback in .300WM , i knew it would go home with me.
Bergara.jpg
, i knew it would go home with me.

The HMR Series are great rifles.....but as i looked at closer at their Premier Series I couldn't resist & the day i walked into my LGS & saw a Ridgeback in .300WM , i knew it would go home with me.View attachment 541435 , i knew it would go home with me.
Kinda did the same thing with my HMR Pro in 308. Love it. Dont know what happened..it just followed me home...(Wifey got it for me Christmas 2022.)
20230517_155856.jpg

Kinda did the same thing with my HMR Pro in 308. Love it. Dont know what happened..it just followed me home...(Wifey got it for me Christmas 2022.)beauView attachment 541440

Kinda did the same thing with my HMR Pro in 308. Love it. Dont know what happened..it just followed me home...(Wifey got it for me Christmas 2022.)View attachment 541440
Beautiful Rifle, like the bi pod too......what kind of optic is on top? , for my .300WM i am considering a new Vortex Viper Gen II FFP with the EBR7C reticle , but cant decide MOA or MRAD.