My Son-in-laws Christmas Present

Get a weed eater box......pack it well...as he may just let it hit the floor...but should be almost perfect size box....

And although you dont have any daughters...hell I'm 52....how about sisters or sister in laws...:)...but I need cute...:rolleyes:...

Get a weed eater box......pack it well...as he may just let it hit the floor...but should be almost perfect size box....

And although you dont have any daughters...hell I'm 52....how about sisters or sister in laws...:)...but I need cute...:rolleyes:...

I have a single sister-in-law, but I wouldn't do that to you. Hahaha

Good for you, hopefully your SIL appreciates it.
My daughter got married just over a year ago, and for my SIL's bday I bought a Tikka T3x Lite in .300 Win. His bday is in June, I bought it in January, it was a pain in the arse to keep him from buying his own. Every time he would go to Sportsmans Warehouse, he would call me up and ask a bunch of questions on which rifle would be a great buy. I was running out of ideas to keep him from buying one. I wouldn't care if he bought one, but I wouldn't have a use for a left handed .300!
Yes, my SIL teared up when my wife and I gifted him his Tikka.

Good for you, hopefully your SIL appreciates it.
My daughter got married just over a year ago, and for my SIL's bday I bought a Tikka T3x Lite in .300 Win. His bday is in June, I bought it in January, it was a pain in the arse to keep him from buying his own. Every time he would go to Sportsmans Warehouse, he would call me up and ask a bunch of questions on which rifle would be a great buy. I was running out of ideas to keep him from buying one. I wouldn't care if he bought one, but I wouldn't have a use for a left handed .300!
Yes, my SIL teared up when my wife and I gifted him his Tikka.
awesome story

My son in law is a good kid that works really hard. He takes really good care of my daughter. But, he doesn't have a lot of money. About three months ago we were talking about hunting. Him and his family are hunters. He showed me his hunting rifle, which consisted of a Rem 710 .270 with an old Bushnell scope. We took it to the range and I couldn't shoot any less than 3" groups. So, I went home and loaded some rounds for it. The best I could get was 1.5-2" groups at 100. Oh ya, he is a lefty shooting a right handed rifle. He is definitely left eye dominant.

After the day at the range, my wife and I started talking about his crappy rifle. My wife's answer was "build him one like yours". God if she knew the price tag on that, she wouldn't be saying that, I thought. She asked what would it cost? I was a bit hesitant, but I said, "probably around $2500 without optics." To my surprise she was all for it. To make a long story short, here is his Christmas gift: Rem 700, 300 Win mag, Brux barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, McMillan stock, Terminator muzzle brake, and HS precision bottom metal. Barreled action built by LRI. Stock work, including paint, done by me.
He's a good kid, hope he stays that way.
View attachment 164344 View attachment 164345
You win 2019!!!

Call your local Stihl Dealer. They mostly throw the boxes away anyway.

Oh don't get me wrong, its a great scope. But, I already have long term plans for it. I'll let him use it for a while so he can enjoy his new gift. I kind of have a feeling I may not get it back though.

Just a thought to this, since I've been in your shoes( except with a niece, and much less expensive gear.) Maybe gift him the rifle and at a later date have him bring it by so you can mount the "loaner scope" maybe it will be less implied that he can keep it.

Just a thought to this, since I've been in your shoes( except with a niece, and much less expensive gear.) Maybe gift him the rifle and at a later date have him bring it by so you can mount the "loaner scope" maybe it will be less implied that he can keep it.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. When he receives the rifle it will not have glass. My plan was to do some load development for him, so when he brings the rifle back for that, I'll mount the scope and load up some rounds. Which will most likely be next weekend, because he is going to want to shoot it soon.

My son in law is a good kid that works really hard. He takes really good care of my daughter. But, he doesn't have a lot of money. About three months ago we were talking about hunting. Him and his family are hunters. He showed me his hunting rifle, which consisted of a Rem 710 .270 with an old Bushnell scope. We took it to the range and I couldn't shoot any less than 3" groups. So, I went home and loaded some rounds for it. The best I could get was 1.5-2" groups at 100. Oh ya, he is a lefty shooting a right handed rifle. He is definitely left eye dominant.

After the day at the range, my wife and I started talking about his crappy rifle. My wife's answer was "build him one like yours". God if she knew the price tag on that, she wouldn't be saying that, I thought. She asked what would it cost? I was a bit hesitant, but I said, "probably around $2500 without optics." To my surprise she was all for it. To make a long story short, here is his Christmas gift: Rem 700, 300 Win mag, Brux barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, McMillan stock, Terminator muzzle brake, and HS precision bottom metal. Barreled action built by LRI. Stock work, including paint, done by me.
He's a good kid, hope he stays that way.
View attachment 164344 View attachment 164345
A beautiful gift. You are fortunate that you have a son-in-law that is interested in hunting; we certainly need more of it. Unfortunately, my son, my brother-in-laws son and my best friends two sons never took to it. They were all pretty close in age and we certainly did everything we could to get them into hunting, which we all loved it but it didn't stick. They are all good kids today but no hunting. Based on most of what you can read about kids getting into hunting, it appears that it is not unusual.

pburton ,

A wonderful gift from your wife and you to your son-in-law . I am sure that he and your daughter will be overwhelmed .

As for you "loaning" your scope to him , be sure to include a "Pre-Nup" agreement for him to sign on the scope , otherwise , it will be hard for you to recover .

Merry Christmas to ALL ,
DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.