Planning my 40 yo birthday present

Joe-boy

This will be a long and slow process, but I want to thoroughly enjoy this ;)

I'll turn 40 in couple of years and I've been considering getting myself a "dream rifle" that would serve me for decades at shooting range and hunting.

I already have couple of rifles, namely the following:
- Thin barreled 30-06 in a sporter stock with a Zeiss 3-12x56 scope on it. This is my "main gun" I use for most of my big game hunting which mostly consists of white tailed deer and moose. This is a nice compromise gun that is not too heavy to carry around, but is adequately accurate and fits most purposes. When hunting in dim light the big Zeiss is a nice thing.
- 223 Varmint in a laminate stock with a 4-16x44 semi-tactical mildot scope. This is my small game stalking gun and also serves me at the range as it is nicer and cheaper to shoot than the larger ones.
- 22LR for plinking and practice
- 17 HMR as a light carry-around small game rifle.

Generally if I'd really be missing something, it'd be a larger bore carry-around rifle intended for shooting off-hand in rapid situations. However, I could relatively easily modify my 30-06 to that if I want to by changing the scope. But what I'd really _want_ (not need) is a rifle that is suitable for longer range practice and hunting. And I think 40 yo birthday is a good time to get something I want ;) There are sexy magnum calibers out there, but I would like something I am comfortable shooting and does not wear my shoulder, my wallet or the barrel out too soon; I want to be able to actually use and shoot it a lot.

There's couple of alternatives I've been wondering. I have a strong preference towards Tikka and Sako rifles, so that's most likely what I'll get but it's not 100% sure.

• Sako TRG-22 most likely in .308 Win. Would fit the bill nicely, and I have a feeling I'm not ready to die before I have a TRG. The ultimate dream would be a Sako green with a 20" barrel.
    • Pros
      • This is currently on the top of my wanted list
      • Should not need much tweaking
      • Handles abuse and hard use
    • Cons
      • Insanely expensive
      • Heavy
      • All accessories cost gold
  • Tikka T3 CTR with KRG Bravo most likely in .308 Win.
    • Pros
      • Almost as sexy as TRG
      • A LOT cheaper
      • Lots of stocks and other accessories available
      • Most likely shoots pretty much as well as TRG
    • Cons
      • Not a TRG
  • Remington 700 and a nice aftermarket stock
    • Pros
      • Something a bit different than what most other people here in Scandinavia use
      • Good aftermarket accessory availability, though not as good as the Tikkas have here
    • Cons
      • A bit boring
      • Not made locally
      • Apparently might need some tweaking.
  • Custom - not really interested in this due to spare part availability, cost and other reasons
  • Something else; what and why?
Also the scope becomes a question. I have a good twilight scope and would like to have something that is usable for hunting but it doesn't have to be the best twilight scope. The thing would be the S&B 5-25x56 PMII of some kind but it again is a bit overkill and expensive... or is it? I'm currently in no hurry and I want to enjoy the decision making, so my opinions may and will change several times before I'm 40. Also, things may change and I may need the money for something else or decide I prefer something else than a rifle :D

Also for hunting yes, but I have other rifles for the longer hikes so it does not need to be super portable. This one would mostly be used in stalking and rarely needs to be further than a mile from the car. The typical use would be trips to range to enjoy the accuracy and when hunting, drive to the area, walk couple of hundreds of yards to the stalking position, sit there until it's time to go home. It's also super flat where I live so there will be no need walk up and down long distances on mountains.

Tikka T3x Tact also looks interesting. It'd have a heavy barrel, picatinny rail, reasonably usable stock and the muzzle thread already. It's a bit pricey though, doesn't really make much sense to pay almost 1000 euros more than a CTR. Rather use that money for the stock and optics. I have a feeling I wouldn't be super happy with the original stock, though it appears to be a lot better than some think. I've got T1x rimfire and actually it only needed the vertical handle, bit more length of pull and a cheek riser and it's actually surprisingly nice.

Will have to go to a store one day to have a look at the different possibilities. T3x CTR with a nice aftermarket stock or a TRG, maybe a used one, are currently my main ideas. I would like something that is comfortable to shoot and carry. Much of my hunting happens in freeqing temperatures and snow, which is one of the reasons why tacticool steel/aluminum skeleton stocks are not my favourite as they are uncomfortable to handle and collect snow. I think the TRG-22 stock would be a very good benchmark for what I'd like, but I'll have to try my friend's TRG before deciding.

Not sure if I could live with e.g. the Tikka T3x TACT A1 stock; not really a great fan of the looks and appearance, but maybe I could learn to like that too...?

Also been thinking about a caliber. The most common use would be for whitetail and smaller critters such as fox, raccoon dog, hare etc so something a bit smaller than the 308 could also work. 6,5x55 SE? 6,5 Creedmoor? Something else? I hand load but appreciate a good availability of components and ammo so wildcats are not super tempting. Also I want to avoid the worst barrel burners. Creedmoor might be a nice alternative for my use, although it does burn a barrel faster than the good ol' 308. Barrel replacement seems to cost around 500-800 USD where I live and at that point I've most likely shot 2000-3000 worth of ammo through it, so not a huge concern but concern nonetheless. The improved ballistics of the Creedmoor comes roughly with a cost of 10 cents per shot for barrel replacement.

Attachments

• TRG-Green.jpg
    TRG-Green.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 69
  • TactA1.jpg
    TactA1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
You have the time to save, why not just build it yourself? You could go the route of purchasing a Terminus Zeus Quick Change action, buy a carbon fiber stock from AG Composite, Manners, etc., purchase a pre-fit barrels with specific caliber of your choice, Hawkins M5 Bottom metal with a Hunter DBM, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger and whatever optic you desire. With the Terminus Zeus QC you do not need a barrel vise and action wrench, they can be hand tightened and are held in place with two set screws. You can always add another barrel with a different caliber for plinking and use the same stock and scope to practice before hunting season starts. Just a thought since you have some time and can save up to purchase.

Mainly because when I break the firing pin at the start of the hunting season in Autumn 2047 I want to be able to get a replacement in timely manner. There's also one very well liked custom action manufacturer where I live, but I have a hard time explaining myself what actual benefits I could gain compared to e.g. TRG-22 which has been through a lot more testing and iteration than any custom action.

Of course any metal part can be found inside a metal block large enough, but anyways I would prefer something that has a certain amount of aftermarket accessory and spare part availability. I appreciate the custom action manufacturers a lot and trust they produce the best tools for a special job. However, I don't think this job is a special job, I just want a good tool for the normal job.

This will be a long and slow process, but I want to thoroughly enjoy this ;)

I'll turn 40 in couple of years and I've been considering getting myself a "dream rifle" that would serve me for decades at shooting range and hunting.

I already have couple of rifles, namely the following:
- Thin barreled 30-06 in a sporter stock with a Zeiss 3-12x56 scope on it. This is my "main gun" I use for most of my big game hunting which mostly consists of white tailed deer and moose. This is a nice compromise gun that is not too heavy to carry around, but is adequately accurate and fits most purposes. When hunting in dim light the big Zeiss is a nice thing.
- 223 Varmint in a laminate stock with a 4-16x44 semi-tactical mildot scope. This is my small game stalking gun and also serves me at the range as it is nicer and cheaper to shoot than the larger ones.
- 22LR for plinking and practice
- 17 HMR as a light carry-around small game rifle.

Generally if I'd really be missing something, it'd be a larger bore carry-around rifle intended for shooting off-hand in rapid situations. However, I could relatively easily modify my 30-06 to that if I want to by changing the scope. But what I'd really _want_ (not need) is a rifle that is suitable for longer range practice and hunting. And I think 40 yo birthday is a good time to get something I want ;) There are sexy magnum calibers out there, but I would like something I am comfortable shooting and does not wear my shoulder, my wallet or the barrel out too soon; I want to be able to actually use and shoot it a lot.

There's couple of alternatives I've been wondering. I have a strong preference towards Tikka and Sako rifles, so that's most likely what I'll get but it's not 100% sure.

• Sako TRG-22 most likely in .308 Win. Would fit the bill nicely, and I have a feeling I'm not ready to die before I have a TRG. The ultimate dream would be a Sako green with a 20" barrel.
    • Pros
      • This is currently on the top of my wanted list
      • Should not need much tweaking
      • Handles abuse and hard use
    • Cons
      • Insanely expensive
      • Heavy
      • All accessories cost gold
  • Tikka T3 CTR with KRG Bravo most likely in .308 Win.
    • Pros
      • Almost as sexy as TRG
      • A LOT cheaper
      • Lots of stocks and other accessories available
      • Most likely shoots pretty much as well as TRG
    • Cons
      • Not a TRG
  • Remington 700 and a nice aftermarket stock
    • Pros
      • Something a bit different than what most other people here in Scandinavia use
      • Good aftermarket accessory availability, though not as good as the Tikkas have here
    • Cons
      • A bit boring
      • Not made locally
      • Apparently might need some tweaking.
  • Custom - not really interested in this due to spare part availability, cost and other reasons
  • Something else; what and why?
Also the scope becomes a question. I have a good twilight scope and would like to have something that is usable for hunting but it doesn't have to be the best twilight scope. The thing would be the S&B 5-25x56 PMII of some kind but it again is a bit overkill and expensive... or is it? I'm currently in no hurry and I want to enjoy the decision making, so my opinions may and will change several times before I'm 40. Also, things may change and I may need the money for something else or decide I prefer something else than a rifle :D
Go with what you truly want; it is your dream rifle, and you have 2 years to save up for it. I have a SAKO M995/TRG in .300 WM (all factory except for a muzzle brake install) and shot an MT bull elk with it at 931Y. Good luck!