Picking out my Christmas present.

kdog70

This holiday season I sold my 300 win mag for bills and xmas presents for my gf and family. Which sucked but now I can buy a new one.
My sisters got me 300 win mag brass(500). My gf got me a SS16X to replace my Weaver scope on my 300 win mag and my parents are going to buy me a new barrel for my Savage.

Do I go back to 300 win mag. Continue to shoot 208Amax,210 Berger maybe 225 Hornady. I already have redding dies and some bullets left over and 1000 pieces of brass.

I really want a 7mm again thinking 7-300win mag or 7wsm sell all the other stuff and go start over. What would you do if you shot to 1000yards once a week and to 1700 yards ish once every two months give or take.

Kind of a flip-the-coin type of situation. With the 300win mag you can save some cash and shoot heavy bullets waaaay over there.

If you go 7mm-300, you lose some barrel life but if you can shoot the 180VLD that really carries the mail a long distance.

you say you shoot 1k regularly. Do you want to be able to hunt at that range? deer? varmints? If the answer is deer, I would probably lean more towards the 300 although the 7mm 180VLD going fast would be hard to beat. Can't run the numbers on this computer.

Given that you are already setup for 300wm, heck why not stay with it? Then again, if you go with 7-300 you can still use the brass. I hear Wildcat bullets is currently making a real nice 200gr bullet in 7mm as well!

Sure wish they could get around to a .25 bullet...:)

Good shooting,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.