My son's Xmas present is shooting 25 moa! Help!

The choice is stellar! I still have my red ryder from the mid 80's. It's certainly seen its better days, but it occasionally finds it's way to being used on camping trips.

You had me, hahaha, true story, my Grandson had a Red Ryder, he was at our house, we were standing on the back porch, our neighbor had Guineas, we hated them, they would mess on the front porch by the door. This flock of Guineas was walking through the backyard, about 40 yards away, I ask my grandson shoot one of those Guineas to scare them off, now he is 5 years old, cute as a bug with his Elmer fudd looking hat on, squeezes the trigger, you can watch the BB fly, perfect arch and hit the Guinea in the neck and killed it DRT, no tracking just a fish out of water. He lets out a I got em, I was thinking oh S****, you did, now I need to get rid of it before the neighbor sees it..
Dang coyotes...round here, they get blamed for everything!

I need the help of the Braintrust here. My in-laws bought my son his first rifle for Christmas and it just will not shoot. I did not do a proper break in because he was so eager to start shooting. Is there a chance I damaged the rifle? Where would you guys start? Right now it has a heavy Factory trigger and I'm shooting Factory ammo.
Must be one of those new .177 ai that Daisy is producing now, I hear they are gonna produce a .177 prc next

You guys keep calling it a rifle. Is the barrel on the Red Ryder rifled? I bet it is smoothbore!
I used to work at a big sporting goods store, that sold guns, including air guns.
Bought a Crossman 760 pump pellet/BB gun for my dad. Shot lights out accurate at his required distance (farm land rats).
His friend bought one from me about a year or two later. Shot terrible. All over the place. My Dad's turned out to be smooth bore, his friend had got the new rifled barrel. We still had an old smoothbore in stock, so did the tradeout.
Problem solved. (I always wondered if it was a crown issue). [All this was on the pellets, not the BB side].

A friend loaned me his .223 rifle to break in and work up a load. I brought the ammo for my .223 and lots of cleaning stuff to the range. Then I realized I didn't have the cleaning rod. There was no way I was leaving without firing a three shot group. It measured 3/8" with a tape measure. I called him. He asked me to meet him in Klamath Falls, Oregon. We were both hours away from there and each other. He stepped off 110 long steps. Put up a target. Placed some sandbags on the hood of his pickup and fired five shots. The group was .400".

All this is to say break in does not make an accurate rifle accurate.
Sounds about right

There are most definitely Badger in Texas I can introduce you to an American bulldog that keeps going after one and comes home tore up lays around for a few days and does it again not the smartest dog around but darn sure has got intestinal fortitude he is not a quiter