Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

What do you use?

From my experience the Berger and SMK type bullet survive the whack in the magazine better than do most other bullets. I'm just wondering if anyone has any real world experience or done any testing the the 'whacked' Berger/SMK type bullets.

I'm certainly not intending to put any responsibility/blame anywhere, just to be clear, WildRose, in case your comments were directed at me. A 'whacked' bullet point is simply a byproduct of hunting with rounds in a magazine. No more...no less. I have made an observation and was curious if others could shed any light on it via their experience/possible testing. The issue I raised may not be an issue at all, I don't know. But it would be nice to know if it is, and if it is, I may make adjustments.
I don't shoot anything but open or polymer tipped bullets any more as the deformation of the soft points bugged the hell out of me and seemed to at least have some effect on accuracy.

Open tips and Polymer tips just seem to my from my experience to produce much more consistent expansion again and again.

With open tips though I have seen a problem with them failing to open properly if one way or another the tip is closed/clogged.

I am new to this site but find this topic very interesting. This is the first year I have used berger bullets. my friend and I spend countless hours shooting up to 800 yards at targets to prepare for our annual caribou hunt. Kind of makes you mad when you practice for the long shot and shoot a booker at 60 yards. Three shots before he fell. Anyone who has hunted these animals know they can soak up the lead. But there was big time expansion with the 180 vlds from my 300 win mag. My moose kill this year was somewhat different. 450 yards and went in 2 inches and broke the front shoulder. No vitals,it just fell down and couldnt get up. Had to finish it off at 20 yards. I am thinking about trying 210 vlds but maybe they are not the bullet many claim them to be.

I shot a whitetail buck at 875 with my .338 laupa shooting 300tom bergers. Drilled through the shoulder blade and exited just in front of the off shoulder with no expansion. Maybe not enough heavy bone to expand?

I shot a whitetail buck at 875 with my .338 laupa shooting 300tom bergers. Drilled through the shoulder blade and exited just in front of the off shoulder with no expansion. Maybe not enough heavy bone to expand?
Should expand without hitting bone. Years ago I used Nosler ballistic tips on whitetail and stopped because I wasted so much meat. Not much meat on the front anyway, but very messy

I would have thought that someone would come on and say I have shot animals with the 300 bergers with no trouble. I guess that is just a subject that is not to be touched. I know there were kills but have hear alot of pencil holes with them. .

If you are truly interested in real results that I have had you will find them here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

I like to take pics of entrance and exits so people can see for their selves and decide if it is the kind of results they want from their hunting bullet.

The OP asked specifically for people to reply in an attempt to find a problem or to hear from others that may have had a similar problem. I hadn't posted this as I figured many had seen it already and their were no problems.

If you want to hear from all the successful kills of game from 300 Bergers this thread could get pretty long. I know of many people that have used them with good results. But I thought this thread was to work out a specific problem not tell about kills with no problems.

Jeff

I have shot thousands and thousands of berger bullets both Target and hunting vlds. I have seen them perform like that a few times. One time was a mule deer Doe at 987 yds with a 264 win mag and a 140 hunting vld leaving the muzzle at 3100fps. Slightly quartering to shot bullet found and looked exactly like the one in the first photo. I was giving the bullet the benifit because it was right on the edge of the min speed for expandtion. Other one that sticks out was on a 340 class bull elk at 650 yds with a 6.5-284 and 140 vld. 4 shots later all in the vitals and a long walk later, no recovered bullets and caliber sized entry and exit wounds. Can't explain that one. Other then that the hundreds of animals I've seen shot with bergers have dropped on the spot or don't make it far after the shot with massive damage. Me personally have started shooting hornady amax.

Not extremely far but here's a pic of coyote I shot at 350yds with a 7mm dakota shooting 180gr berger hybrids.

Nathan

1352686523.jpg

First off, hats of to Eric. His class really shows through.

I have had bullets fail from every manufacturer that I have shot.

Hornandy SST- 10" penitration (blow up) from a 225 grain .338 cal
Barnes triple shock (open tip)- 250 grain .338 cal- pencile through.
Nosler Accubond - tips of 5 bullets in 20 broke off in recoil
Berger VLD- 95 grain 6mm pencil thorugh on a coyote (didnt find the dog... but he died:D)

no bullet is perfect, but i think that Berger is on the right track. I have used the Gen 2 OTM's on whitetales and have no problems (though at inide 300 yards).

I see the new Nosler bullets pushing the shooting sports envelope in the same way that Berger has been doing it for the last 6 years.

Okay guys, not sure if this will help as I havent had a "fail" with a berger but as I am a curious fella I went down and carefully studied the the hollow point on the 210 hunting vlds in every bullet in a box of 20 I have loaded. Lot #4449.

1 of the bullets loaded out of those 20 rounds I can not get a little paper clip down further than about .053 thou. All the others I can push a paper clip down at least .117 thou. Perhaps this has something to do with these fails that to me seem few and far between.

Now I realize a little paper clip and a caliper is far from sophisticated but none the less it was a measurable difference on that one bullet, no matter how crude.

Someone earlier posted a link to a meplat uniformer...... Eric why does Berger recommend not to do this....it seems to me as though it would be no different than turning case necks. Just trying to make every round exactly the same.......

Maybe my redneck paper clip measurement might have something do with some of these fails. I would think the eighth inch depth of the hollwpoint is good for expansion but the One that wasnt quite a sixteenth not so good.

And kudos to Eric and Berger as ive seen him do time and time again on this forum. Thats customer service :)

Eric why does Berger recommend not to do this....it seems to me as though it would be no different than turning case necks. Just trying to make every round exactly the same.......

This is a good question. The reason we recommend that the tips be left alone is because this is how the bullets are tested. If the tip is trimmed then the end of the jacket is made thicker and perfectly flat. We don't know what affect this will have on terminal performance but this condition is different than how the bullets are tested.

When it comes to repointing, most repointing processes close the tip up to a fine point with little or no exposed hole. Some testing done by others has suggested that a lack of some opening can essentially turn the bullet into a FMJ. It is believed that the bullet needs some area for the fluid to enter before the bullet will expand. We have not tested these ourselves but have seen this reported by shooters we regard as capable so it has become one of our recommendations that you don't change the tip of the bullet.

Regarding the paper clip test, it is more sophisticated than you suggest. We actually use a staple that is not folded over. We straighten the staple and push it into the tip. Once it bottoms out we bend the staple at the tip so we can measure the depth of the hollow point. This is actually one of our steps in the QA process.

After going through a number of 7mm hunting bullets we were able to find 10 that we could not put a staple in at all. These bullets are being shipped to MI where Bryan will be able to test them to see what happens. We also sent bullets that allowed the staple to go to the lead. We will compare them to each other.

Regards,
Eric

Rhian,
I will add a comment on my personal experience with sealed Berger VLD bullet tips and how I blundered into this finding. Eric may scold me for this post because he advises against messing with their bullet tips.

Anyhow, I purchased the Meplat Uniforming tool from Kevin Cram. It's a tool that precisely trims the Meplat flat on the VLDs. In addition, Kevin sells a hollow-pointing tool that can be used after the meplats have been trimmed to a uniform length. Here's a quick link to photos of the tools and bullets that have been meplat unifomed and hollow-pointed: Montour County Rifles
After this link opens, left click on the Meplat Uniforming Tool tab in the left hand column of the web page.

So I did this with about 200 of the 168 gr .284 VLDs and about 250 of the 210 gr .308 VLDs. During this process, I encountered at least 6 bullets, and I believe it was 7 bullets, with the tip of the jackets completely closed in - sealed - no hole in the tip of the jacket. This is easier to see after the meplats has been trimmed back ever so slightly, but the real confirmation comes when using Kevin Cram's hollow-pointing tool after the tips have been squared off. The leading tip of the hollow-pointing tool never did reach down into the hollow cavity in front of the lead core of these seven bullets.

This led me to suspect that this could be a reason for the occasional VLD failing to expand on game. I began this meplat uniforming and hollow-pointing venture in the effort in improve the likelihood that my VLDs would be even more likely to expand on each and every impact on game, after I had an experience where a 210 VLD didn't expand on the dall ram.

So for what it's worth, I encountered approximately 7 VLD bullets out of approximately 450 that I meplat uniformed and hollow-pointed - with the tips of the bullets completely sealed off. The jacket material was pinched totally together at the tip, and extending down into the tip at least the full length of the drill tip on the Kevin Cram hollow-pointing tool (a minimum of about 3/32" and more likely 1/8"). Berger doesn't recommend or encourage their customers to mess with the tips of their bullets that will be used for hunting. But I have my suspicions about the closed tips being a source of the non-expanders, and I will personally sort those few bullets out from now on and use them for sighting in or load development, rather than on game animals.

Without taking this thread too far off course, I would love to know the results you got after using the MCR uniforming and HP tool, espeically in regards to increased accuracy, expansion, and drop in BC. If you feel this takes this thread too far off course then maybe PM me but I think that info would be valuable for all reading. I have a feeling you are very much onto the reason for the rare occurrence of the non expansion of Berger bullets. Great thread and input guys!

Scot E.

Gotta say I've never seen any other bullet manufacturer demonstrate this level of concern and effort, and this type of open communication with the hunting community, in the sincere effort to improve their products, the proper use of their products, and customer satisfaction. Very commendable Eric! Big thumbs up from me.

Oh yeah, very interesting information also. Thanks for sharing.

PS: And Broz deserves a few bullets. :) He's been a faithful provider of lots of good information on this Forum, and I mean in addition to all the Berger in-use end results stories too.

Good comment he also doesn't look like a freak so maybe put him in the commercial to.
I always read these threads with a lot of skepticism as I have never had anything but positive results. There are so many factors involved and everyone is not at the same level (experience). It just seems as if this things should be posted after the manufacture is contacted and fails to do nothing about it. The site has had issues with this type of stuff in the past, people and I may be guilty as well saying product X sucks etc. with no empirical data or a preverbal leg to stand on to back it up.

Without taking this thread too far off course, I would love to know the results you got after using the MCR uniforming and HP tool, espeically in regards to increased accuracy, expansion, and drop in BC. If you feel this takes this thread too far off course then maybe PM me but I think that info would be valuable for all reading. I have a feeling you are very much onto the reason for the rare occurrence of the non expansion of Berger bullets. Great thread and input guys!

Scot E.

+1 I would also be interested in your results phorwath.

Seems to me this would be a soloution.......uniformin the meplate and HP. Provided terminal results are good. Dan

Attachments

• SC20121207-103648.png
    SC20121207-103648.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
+1 I would also be interested in your results phorwath.

Scott E and IdahoRedneck,
Short answer is I don't have the answers to Scott's great questions for several reasons. I've shot custom bullets that elkaholic has manufactured the past two hunting seasons. So my chronograph work, load development, and testing turned to those bullets and loads shortly after I meplat uniformed and hollow-pointed these VLDs. I plan to shoot the meplat tricked-out VLDs through my triplicate chronograph setup at 1000 yds to determine % reduction in BC, but haven't done that yet. And in general, a move within the local area has reduced my hobby time over the past 12 months.

I can say the Kevin Cram tools produce sweet looking bullet tips. I did this because I had an intuitive expectation that if I created the slightly enlarged V-shaped hollow point on the tips of the bullets, that I might be able to reduce or eliminate those instances of non-expansion, and that the bullets might be even more apt to expand at long range, low velocity impacts on game. The hollow-pointing tool thins the leading edge of the jacket and creates a picture perfect V down into the hollow of the tip of the bullets. It seemed to me that a V shape would be more apt to disrupt when impacting game than a thicker, blunter leading edge on the jackets.

It does take a fair amount of time and effort to meplat uniform and hollow-point 450 bullets. If Berger did this, they'd have to charge a premium for the extra time and labor. And if you decide to do it yourself, you'll value the bullets more than before due to the investment of your labor.

My thoughts: I will be able to determine any reduced BC value after I chronograph at 1000 yards. I may be able to discern some affect on accuracy, but I don't expect that. Otherwise ALL benchrest shooters would be doing this. I won't be able to determine if the hollow-pointing improves the odds of expansion any time soon, because the vast majority of VLDs seem to expand as intended. And I don't kill enough animals to reach a confident conclusion any time soon. Going about it on my own WILL require a large number of game animals killed to determine if the hollow-pointing eliminates the incidents of non-expanding bullets.

Eric's approach will be much more time-efficient to determine if the closed tips are a causative factor in failures to expand. Identify a potential cause and then focus on thoroughly testing that specific cause. In this case, shoot only the closed-tip bullets to determine if those bullets with no hole in the tips fail to expand a significantly increased percentage of the time. I appreciate the challenge. When the vast majority of VLDs do expand, it will be difficult to finger a primary cause for the limited number of non-expanding incidents.

A hunters, we may have to accept the fact that just about any bullet design may fail to perform 100% of the time. I had a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip fail to expand on a dall ram at a distance of 12 yards about 20 years ago. Shot the ram through the ribs, just behind the shoulders. Completely broadside shot. The ram acted like he'd not been hit. He jumped and reversed position 180 degrees and then stood there looking around until I saw a small tiny red spot on the white hair in the middle of the ribs where the bullet exited on the off side. So I continued to wait and watch thinking the animal would collapse very soon. Long story short, he was still alive 20 minutes later when I finally shot him a second time. This experience is why I stated earlier, perhaps only God will know why bullets sometimes fail to perform to standards of expectation.

An even more bizarre incident. Locally, and about 8 years ago, an older man shot his neighbor with a .338 Win Mag at point blank range (less than 15 feet). He was tying to kill his neighbor following some sort of disagreement. The gunshot victim did fall to the ground, but continued to talk. Was asking the neighbor why the h_ll he shot him? Another long story short. The gunshot man survived being hardly any worse for the wear. EMTs and paramedics were all dumbfounded and reported that the bullet struck close to the heart, and thru and thru'd the torso above the diaphram. Same type of report later from the hospital. Obviously that bullet didn't expand. I would have loved to have seen the look on the shooter's face after the shot, which produced very minimal affect. I'd guess he may have decided he'd picked a fight with the wrong fella! :D For the unbelieving, this incident was reported in the local Peninsula Clarion, Kenai, Alaska. Might be able to find it with a Google search. Last piece of gossip... The shooter was an occasional customer at my brother's gun shop. My brother said the customer always seemed like a nice guy. Never imagined he'd have done something like this.

I'll report on my findings with the meplat trimmed and hollow-pointed VLDs, but only after I've reached some fairly confident conclusions. I think I'll be able to discern and calculate a reduced BC. But the reduction in BC has already been fairly closely determined in the past from other shooters' reports (~2%, but it's dependent on how much tip is shaved off the bullets). I'm not confident I'll be able to reach conclusions on the other items of interest anytime soon...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.