Opinoin of Vortex Optics

I have had and still have just about everything they sell under $1000. No problems out of their (only gonna list what I've used a lot) crossfire, (multi)diamondbacks, viper, viper hst and venom. I had a mount for red dot with stripped threads and they overnighted a replacement. They included the return shipping prepay so I didn't have to wait for return verification. Also had a scope mount screw that stripped and they overnighted it right away (as in got it the next day!). I think they have the best customer service and warranty in the industry. I have also used Burris and Leupold warranties and they are pretty smooth sailing as.well. Nikon and bushnell are more of a coin flip when it comes to customer service. I will say that my basic viper 6.5-20x50 is optically only equal to the crossfire I have and not as clear as my diamondbacks. I have looked through other basic vipers and they are better than mine so I'll probably send it back eventually but there's no rush cuz the warranty is forever. Just as a side note all models seem to handle recoil well even the cheaper ones . They are what I have on my hardest kickers like 45-70 and 35 whelen. Good luck

Have several and they are excellent for the price and have a lifetime guarantee. Use one on my barrett 50 caliber and after over a hundred rounds it is functioning great

Their "nice" stuff (PST, Razor, AMG etc) is all good... but its also not very cheap.

I was very happy with my FFP HS-LR, and am even happier with my Razor AMG that I replaced it with.

I had a Strike Eagle on my AR for a while, it worked but you definitely make compromises shopping in that price range. I replaced it with a Trijicon Accupower 1-8 and am over the moon. Not a knock on Vortex, I would have 100% gone with a Razor Gen2 if they made a FFP LPVO... they dont so Trijicon got my money.

Good points, but, I would rather have a scope I did not have to send in for repair/replace. All of mine were simple recoil failures, none were dropped, etc. You should be able to reasonably expect any decent rifle scope to be able to handle the mid-level magnums and 30-06 recoil.
I agree with you. I personally haven't had failures like you on my Vipers and thus can't speak to them but if I was and I was sending my Vortexes in all the time for repair I wouldn't hesitate to sell them off. Plenty of supporters who pay top dollar for a Vortex locally.

I have deals with Leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss and Vortex and have and use multiple of each. I have 3 Razor LH HD 3-15x42s and love them for their light weight and simplicity..... they're all on lightweight carry rifles. I've only shot them out to 600 yards and they've all dialed correctly, as well as, shot true using the hash marks. They've also passed the box test. I also have 2 Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scopes....27-60x85 & 11-33x50. I've had zero issues with any of these scopes. I also have a Gen 1 6-24x50 that tracks and operates ok but I'm not thrilled with the glass quality. With this being said, for the price I pay for them, they serve me well but no better than my other brands. I buy according to the features in need in a scope, not by brand name!

I owned a Vortex Razor for a year on a Tikka .260 Rem with a Mcree chasis. It shot well and I really had no complaints with it. I understand the Razor line is a minimum for quality. I sold both the Tikka and the Razor and upgraded to a Sako TRG 22 and a Nightforce ATACR. For me both the new rifle and scope outshoot the Tikka and Razor. Maybe it is just my optimism and confidence. No question about the marketing for Vortex. I was annoyed the price dropped big time at Eurooptics on the Razor. I wondered if they were dumping the line.

I own one of their lower end ones, a crossfire 6-18. It's on my 300 win mag. No issues so far but haven't taken it out very far. It's a compromise for sure, but one I had to make with my budget considerations. My set up is a savage 111 Long Range Hunter with this vortex on top. Waited for sales on both, have sunk barely over 1000 Canadian into this. It's what I can get away with for now. It shows great promise. I am a fan of savage rifles and vortex optics (along with scorpion optics and the weatherby vanguard line of rifles) as they're accessible to most people and often do what products 3 times the money do. Sometimes even more ;)

I own a 4x16x44 HST. Glass is okay in bright conditions. Eye relief is awful! Could never put it on high power rifle as I had planned. Ended up putting it on a 6.5 Creedmore with muzzle brake.
As far service, don count on too much, they never even responded to my inquiry when I contacted them about the eye relief.
Will never buy another Vortex product....

I own a 4x16x44 HST. Glass is okay in bright conditions. Eye relief is awful! Could never put it on high power rifle as I had planned. Ended up putting it on a 6.5 Creedmore with muzzle brake.
As far service, don count on too much, they never even responded to my inquiry when I contacted them about the eye relief.
Will never buy another Vortex product....
It's too bad but as a fellow owner I'll have to second that, the low light clarity is not very good at all

I bought a Skyline Tripod and Viper HD spotting scope a couple years back. Price was right and for what I spent the quality is ok. I use this spotting scope and tripod at the range. The Tripod seems very well built. I do not use this setup for hunting however.

I have 2 razor hd gen 2 and love them. My other scopes are NF shv, Zeiss conquest and Zeiss Victory V8. I rate them Zeiss V8 (best), Razor HD Gen 2, NF and conquest (worst). Obviously the V8 has the best glass but is 2nd fp with plex reticle therefore I don't use it for tactile shooting but for hunting. I use the razors for long range shooting and hunting, the NF and conquest for hunting. In my opinion the razor hd gen 2 are hard to beat without spending 2-3X the money. Never tried any of there lower end stuff.
Daryl

i like them, but i've only got one. i got a viper PST 2.5-10x44 gen 1 about 5 years ago at cabelas for $250 on sale. they were selling for around $500 give or take at the time. (this was before the gen 2's had come out). for $250, it's a great scope. the glass is really good, it tracks well, it doesnt weigh a ton. it doesnt have a parallax adjustment though, so i'd have been ****ed if i paid $500 for a scope that doesnt have it.

Y'all be acting like that lifetime warranty is free. U know they mark that glass up to cover that loss when/if it needs work right? Only to be replaced with another sub-par piece of glass or worst case opened up to repair and get same scope back. I mean it's common business practice to protect yourself but if u have confidence in what u sale u would price the items right and eat the costs when those occurrences come around.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.