Are vortex optics worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own 2 Viper PST II 3-15x44 FFP scopes, one Viper HST 4-16x44 scope, and one Razor HD 5-20x50 scope. I like them all for different reasons, each has it's place.

For the average hunter I'd recommend the Viper HST. It's a simple reticle but it does have hash marks. I hunt in Montana so the magnification works pretty well for me but I suspect that it might not be as comfortable for a person that is used to shooting in heavy cover at short range.

The HST is on my lightweight Kimber Mountain Ascent and the PSTs are on my short barreled .308 gas operated rifles (Springfield Saint Victor and M1A SOCOM).

I like how the adjustments feel and they repeat very well. The glass works well in low light. I've only taken animals out to 300 yards with these rifles but I've shot paper and steel out to 400 yards. I haven't had any problems with taking shots at sunrise and sunset. I really like the illuminated reticle on the PST scopes. The zero stops work well once you get the hang of setting them up. The only thing I wish that they had was some sort of way to prevent the knobs from turning when you carry the rifles slung on your shoulder but if you carry your rifle in your hands then this wont be a problem and with the zero stop feature elevation is easy to get back on zero, windage usually moves a few clicks so putting it back on zero isn't much of an issue either.

The Razor is on my long range gun and I've used it out to 1100 yards with my .308 with no issues.

I have 3 Vortex scopes and a couple of Leupolds. I was sceptical with the first Vortex and found out it tracks as good as the Leupolds. Ended up getting two more and love them.

Stay safe

good thing they have good warranty, good chance you'll need it.
You are making an assumption that isn't based on any kind of fact. I sold Vortex products for several years (among other sporting goods) and I can remember only a couple of customers that claimed to have had to return their Vortex product and all of them were satisfied with the speed that their optic was repaired or replaced. Of all of my Vortex scopes I've only returned the Razor which was certified as working properly - and they were right, it was my mount that was the problem.

Don't forget, optics can fail due to manufacturing issues or improper use. I've seen some pretty bad installation jobs over the decades that I've been shooting (as both a Range Master/Range Safety Officer, and a retail salesman) and some inappropriate scope choices (like a rimfire scope on a 300 Win Mag or the many rails that didn't fit the receivers properly). Whenever somebody says that a well known brand is bad I always ignore their remarks unless they provide some kind of proof. We all have brands that we've had issues with that cause us to not want that brand any more. I wont buy a Sightron for that reason and I wont even buy a Leupold binocular any more because I've two in a row that failed, but I'm sure we can all agree that the consensus is that this isn't the norm for either of these brands and that doesn't mean that these products aren't a reasonable buy for others, I just have a personal bias against them just like you have against Vortex products.

Last edited:
I had to send my Vortex scope in once for a product defect once, the other time was my fault. They never questioned either, even though I told them I was at fault. I agree with Rammac about Leupold binos as well, they are pretty disappointing.

I bought a Razor LH a few years ago.

I liked it so much I replaced all my Leupold VX3's with them.

Not many people seem to understand that vortex is primarily a brand and not as much a manufacturer. To my knowledge the AMG is the only scope vortex 'makes', everything else is OEM'd for them by other companies. There are factories in China, Phillipines, and Japan as well as others.

The Japanese factory, Light Optical Works makes scopes for other brands like Nightforce and Bushnell too.

This is actually quite common in the scope industry. The idea of 'brand loyalty' is kind of silly to me and seems somewhat outdated.

For example, at one time you could buy a Zeiss and know that you were getting a quality optic 😆

I own Vortex, leupold and Nightforce. leupold is the only one I've ever had to send back for warranty out of the three. I had to send one Leupold back twice and still not completely satisfied with it.
of the vortex I own one Razor and a couple PST Love the Razor but it's a heavy pig

I have two both have been sent back for repair one is there now. Great customer service and VIP warranty They pay shipping both ways won't purchase there product again

Seems like way back when, they were about the only scope that dialed well in that mid tier price range. I have a PST Gen 1 that has been on a 300 RUM for about 8 years. has been shot a lot too. Scope still dials perfectly and returns to zero. My brother took an antelope with it at 865 yards last year (perfect shot too). Glass could be better, but it is definitely good enough to get the job done. I buy them now, cause I know what to expect.

One of my favourite pure hunting scopes is the razor lh. Now they have the lht and it would make a killer hunting scope. Light weight, crystal clear, super easy to pick up the reticle, great eye box. I've had the gen 1 pst, gen 2 pst, viper, viper hs, and razor gen II. I did have an issue with the gen 1 pst but it was a known problem and it was resolved immediately!! The rest have been great optics

Status
Not open for further replies.