Opinoin of Vortex Optics

I have two PST and one HST. All get the job done. Glass is not the best, but very good in the price range.
I did a tall target test on the HST a few days ago. It tracked perfectly vertical and had a total dialing error of .3% across 21 MOA of vertical. That is like 1/16" of error at 21 MOA. It is basically error free. I then used the HST at 700 and 800 yards (only 17 MOA needed) and it dialed perfectly and returned to zero.
The two PSTs work just as well. One is on a 300 RUM and the other on a 300 WSM with lots of rounds down range on both of them.
The the PST glass is better than the Viper HST glass. I find the HST glass a bit irritating, but it works great at 800 yards, so I am happy for the price.
Never had to use the warranty and one of the scopes is 7 years old. They've all seen quite a few rounds as I like to shoot some year round.
they are not a Nightforce or S&B for for their price point, they are very good.

I have only used the Gen II 4.5X27 scope. I have 2. One on a 6.5X47 Lapua and one on a 300WM I use for PRS. Both have been great. Tracking is good. That said, I put a Khales on my new 338 Lapua. Noticed the difference in quality and price!!

Had a Crossfire II for about 2 1/2 years now. Spent the first 12 months on my 223 bolt rifle before I upgraded it. Not that there was anything wrong with it, just wanted something with a bit more magnification. It now sits on my 308, which has shot around 100 rounds so far, all at the range, without any dramas. Will be taking it on its first field trip next month, so we'll see how well it stands up to the rigours of the Victorian Alps mid-winter. Watch this space.

Everyone has different expectations of scopes and everyone treats their gear different. To me a scope is a tool and first thing done when I get one is it goes to the range for zeroing, then box tests and then to the LR to stretch its legs. On first trip I pay close attention to actual adjustment vs what it's supposed to adjust per click. Then on the LR it's steel from 300-to 1270 and it's about 2-3 hours of initial cranking crap out of turrets back and fourth. Then do little things like crank all way back down to zero and then back up to adjustment. I try to induce failures. I have broken swaro, vortex, NF, Steiners and Schmidt's. If u got a scope that works for your needs who cares who makes it! People think I am dumb for letting all my rifles ride in the bed of the truck in drag bags on crap roads for the ride to the range. I am like why? If it can't handle a little bumpy road and hold zero, I don't want it! Happy shooting!
Well said. I had an hslr on a 270wsm - i was an idiot and had it balanced all funky on my gun rest on the counter. One of my kids bumped it and it took a 5ft fall onto the tile landing right on the bell of the scope. I have never been so excited to take a rifle to the range - i don't purposely abuse my stuff, but I use the hell out of them and expect them to hold up to the punishment. That stupid hslr put 5 shots in the bullseye at 200 yds where I have it zeroed. I haven't messed with any of Vortex super cheap stuff like the crossfires - only ever had one diamondback hp on my daughters 243 and it does fine, all viper and some razor stuff. . I must be a pretty lucky vortex owner as well.

Also, the new Viper HD spotter is stupid good for the money. I had it out next to my buddies gen 1 razor spotter and we couldn't tell a different in low light.

Compared my Viper 10x50 binocs with Swaro binocs on a hunting trip. Clarity and resolution were comparable to my eyes (65 yrs+), proving either Vortex is excellent or quality glass is wasted on me. Have been hunting with a Diamondback 4x16 for several years, no issues. Just mounted a Viper PST GEN II on a new rifle. Again, looks good through my eyes, but jury is still out on performance. As with others, these choices were budget driven. Also have Leupold and Zeiss, but nothing over $1K and they all will let me hammer deer at dusk.

I know glass and there ain't nothing vortex offers that can compete with swaro or Leica. It's one thing to be brand loyal which I respect brother but u have to be realistic. Not same caliber of glass!

Lol....

Sorry to disappoint, but they looked the same to me. Keep in mind that was midday with the sun shining. Not exactly a rigorous review. And since I don't own top end glass, I probably can't discern the difference. Only point is Vortex is certainly sufficient for a lot of hunters/shooters.

Sir with all due respect I appreciate your review however, I respectfully say there is no way a set of viper binos contest with a pair of swaro binos it don't happen here on this plant called earth. There is a reason they cost more and it ain't import taxes.

Optics are so subjective - everybody always talks about how good the "glass" is. There were probably big gaps in quality 20 years ago, but Japan, the Philippines and even china can put together some high quality glass that is just as good as the euro stuff. Then it comes down to proprietary coatings from the company. The most important thing in my opinion is the mechanics - does it hold zero, does it track, and does it do both of those things reliably.

The most mechanically sound scope out there is Tangent Theta - there scope error is something stupid like .002, and its always the same with every tangent theta scope tested - .002. They are as consistent as hell. I don't have $4700 To scope all of my rifles, so the nightforce, leupold and vortex are adequate for most of my needs. They hold zero, take a beating, track well, and do those things well enough for my shooting needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.