Opinoin of Vortex Optics

I have had limited experience with the whole line..I had a gen1 razor 5x20 that was tough and very good but ended up liking the G2/G3 style reticle of the Bushnell tac elites better so I sold it. I still have a set of Kiabab binoculars--very good--not quite my Swarovski ELs but serviceable and about $1400 less... I have been looking at the AMG for sometime but always seem to find a better deal--when it comes to dropping $2k plus.( but the features and glass are top tier on the AMG). Overall I like the Bushnell tac elites better on their more "value" side...and when you get $2k plus I tend to go a little more and go Swarovski, Zeiss, March, or S&B.

Vortex -great warranty and you are going to use it often. No longer own any Vortex products except a red dot. (Only Red Dot with a LT warranty).

Their high end products are as much or more than NF, Swaro etc and no where near the quality of build or glass. I admit price is not an issue with me, it is all about the performance. Toughest scope on the market, NF, best glass, Swaro, Zeiss and Leica. Would take a Leupold LONG before a Vortex in the equivalent price range. Have never had a NF, Leupold, Zeiss or Leica go back for scope failure, have sent back a few Vortex and that is why I no longer have any.

Warranty is great but I prefer a product that won't continually fail I've had three scopes and one pair of razor binoculars everything I had had to be replaced within a year or six months my razor binoculars were replaced three times within a year for focus and parallax problems finally I made the sporting goods store I bought them refund my money and I went with Swarovski and never looked back I have sense sold all vortex optics and got Nightforce and some Leupold and haven't had a problem since!

I consider them to be middle-or-the-road quality overall. I think they are usually fairly priced and very functional. No comparison to the high end scopes. One reason they are sold everywhere, they allow the dealer to make a good profit margin. Nikons are very bit as good, but dealers cannot make as much on them. Been in the sporting goods sales business since 1980.

I have 3 Viper pst 6-24 gen 1, I'm happy with them, they do long range shooting, pd''s etc. I pd less for them than one actar.

vortex is mostly private labeled junk. unless its japanese built or the AMG don't buy it. they depend on most people not actually shooting their guns that often. those that do have issues they batch QC the broken scopes as a cost of doing business. They also blow out the old models with new models quite often. This causes you to take a bath on resale.

on edit, I really wanted to like the PST gen 2 3-15 model. I bought one and put it in my fixed scope testing jig on a tall target at 100 yards, I found that the reticle was canted. So I took the scope back and exchanged it for another new model. it too had exactly the same condition when tested. buy whatever you want. I think their stuff is junk, unless its japanese built or AMG

Last edited:
View attachment 137599 I've had a few vortex items. Bino's and a cheaper scope or two. Never had a problem.

Recently got a 6-24x50 Diamondback FFP Tactical and put it on my 6.5 Grendel AR. I worked it through the paces out to 600 yards. It tracked well and the glass was good for the money for sure. ($400 retail) Shot it 6 days in a row. Reliable performance so far.

I was surprised to get a decent FFP scope for $400 btw. I had moderate expectations and this scope surpassed my expectations by far.
I have 2 Diamondback Tactical FFP's. One on a Grendel and one on a 6.5 PRC. The 6-24 scope gets blurry at high magnification but for the price I like them both. If money was no issue I would have but something different but.....

I just got my 1st Vortex which is a Strike Eagle 1-8X25 for my 300wsm.
Im usually a Leupold or Sightron man but for this rifle didn't want to spring $1000 for a similar product
It was $500AU so I don't expect the glass in it to be as good as a $1000 Leupold BUT I do expect it to track well & not fall apart.
Not sure if I am expecting to much but time will tell!

I did load development on the same rifle with a Sightron S1 4-12x40 AO which is an even cheaper scope & held up very well to the recoil.

I think a lot of the time we tend to underrate a lot of cheaper scopes & they do generally compete well with scopes of double the cost.
I think Vortex has reasonably good reputation for a cheaper end manufacturer as does Sightron.

It does help knowing when buying one that it had a lifetime warranty just in case something does go wrong!

If this Vortex ends up being as equal as the Sightrons I have had then I will be a happy camper.

Last edited:
Bought two Used vortex diamondback hp 4x16x42 , with bdc reticals have run them on my 223 varmit rifle & my 708 rem , both have held up great n work proper . Binos bought used like new viper hd's15x50's have them more then 2 years ,So far So good ,have other high end glass products and I know the difference ,but I'm not shelling out that ging every time , so that's that !, cheers .

I think Vortex has reasonably good reputation for a cheaper end manufacturer as does Sightron.

I see Vortex as pretty much being the polar opposite of Sightron. Vortex markets outsourced mostly Chinese stuff under their label and spends big money on advertising. Sightron builds most of their own scopes in Japan and spends very little on advertising. Sightrons lineup is much more limited than Vortex but if they make what you're looking for you'll get much more value for your money with them than Vortex.

I only have one Vortex left it's an older Viper 2-7X32 and I like it, I wish they still made them. I'm thinking if moving it from the .204 Ruger it currently sits on to my M788 .30-30. I gave another 2-7X32 to a youngster who killed his first three deer in Oklahoma last year at 9 years old. The only other Vortex scope I owned was a 6.5-20X50 Viper, I didn't like the reticle in it, so it went down the road on a rifle I sold. I wouldn't hesitate to try another, probably a Razor next.

I will say vortex has some exceptional customer service. I'm dealing with them right now about my gen2. I sent it in for repair but they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. I called back and was told I should have been called before they sent it back if they found nothing wrong. They were very apologetic and I was asked to test again. I tested it and still broke. They sent me a label to ship it back and put it on a 2 day priority to get fixed and field tested. I must say the people they have working for them in CS are top notch. I'm still done with buying them but it's nice to see in today's world they care about their customers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.