Opinions on Rangefinding Binos

backyardsniper

I've been running the same middle of the road binos and a 2005 model range finder for a long while now and I'm thinking seriously about upgrading. I'm considering the swarovski range finding binos. My question is, are they that much better than any other range finding binoculars? What others are there out there that compare? What are your recommendations?

I will comment on how a good rangefinder binocular works for me in the field even though I don't own the Swarovski rangefinder binos.

I own a older pair of Leica 10 x 42 rangefinder binoculars. I used to use small underpowered monocular rangefinders including one that was a 7X Leica. The binocular vision with its wider field of view combined with the higher magnification makes ranging much easier!

I have a special clamp I got from Outdoorsmans that allows me to place it on a tripod for glassing. I can range in an instant. Some hunts have me using the 15 Swarovski binos on a tripod. In that situation I can place the rangefinder binos on top of the 15s and find the target distance.

So I just went through a very intensive evaluation process to figure this out as well. Here is a brief background, summary, and conclusions:

I was using a set of Vortex Razor 10x42 binos and a G7 BR2 rangefinder. Really didn't like the bulk and wanted to upgrade glass and consolidate equipment. Based on my use of the G7, I wasn't willing to sacrifice ballistic solutions w this "upgrade".

I evaluated the the Sig BDX, Vortex Fury w AB, Zeiss Victory RF, Swaro EL Range w tracking assistance, Leica 3200.com.

Sig BDX — got the party started with incorporating AB (ballistics) in binos. Onboard ballistics solutions to 800 yards or connect to kestrel via BT for unlimited solutions. Surprisingly good glass for the price point.

Vortex Fury w AB — New for 2021. Best Ballistics solutions of all rangefinding binos evaluated. (onboard, connect via kestrel, wind inputs, etc). Also by far the worst glass.

Zeiss Victory RF — same price point as Swaro, weak ballistics program and no ability to input wind. You'd have to really be a Zeiss fan to go this route IMO. I'd look for them to be the next to upgrade their rangefinding Bino.

Swaro El w tracking assistant (New for 2021)— Best overall glass (but still has that slight tint all rangefinding binos have). Weak ballistics program. Again, no wind. The tracking feature, which could also help stalk a bedded animal, is cool but not not enuff to overcome the weak ballistics IMO. I was hopeful Swaro would get this right but they missed the mark IMO.

Leica Geovid 3200.com. Glass might be slightly below Swaro and on par w Zeiss. Still premium glass. Onboard ballistics app is weak and I wouldn't trust it beyond 500-600 yards. However, this is the only alpha glass option that links w kestrel. Admittedly, I was skeptical as there was a lot of negative press on the BT connection when they first launched. That being said, Leica updated the firmware and following a couple weeks of testing, my unit works flawlessly and is actually gives wind readings faster than my G7 (manually inputting wind).

I purchased the Leicas and look forward to using them for many years to come. If you decide to go with one of the big 3 (Swaro, zeiss, Leica), don't be afraid to be negotiate. They are required to list MSRP but every single store I visited (not big box) or called was willing to negotiate on price ( this wasn't true for vortex or sig).

I could go into a lot more depth but this should get you started. Best thing you could do is download all the apps to see the functionality and then go look through them at a local retailer.

LHP.

Last edited:
So I just went through a very intensive evaluation process to figure this out as well. Here is a brief background, summary, and conclusions:

I was using a set of Vortex Razor 10x42 binos and a G7 BR2 rangefinder. Really didn't like the bulk and wanted to upgrade glass and consolidate equipment. Based on my use of the G7, I wasn't willing to sacrifice ballistic solutions w this "upgrade".

I evaluated the the Sig BDX, Vortex Fury w AB, Zeiss Victory RF, Swaro EL Range w tracking assistance, Leica 3200.com.

Sig BDX — got the party started with incorporating AB (ballistics) in binos. Onboard ballistics solutions to 800 yards or connect to kestrel via BT for unlimited solutions. Surprisingly good glass for the price point.

Vortex Fury w AB — New for 2021. Best Ballistics solutions of all rangefinding binos evaluated. (onboard, connect via kestrel, wind inputs, etc). Also by far the worst glass.

Zeiss Victory RF — same price point as Swaro, weak ballistics program and no ability to input wind. You'd have to really be a Zeiss fan to go this route IMO. I'd look for them to be the next to upgrade their rangefinding Bino.

Swaro El w tracking assistant (New for 2021)— Best overall glass (but still has that slight tint all rangefinding binos have). Weak ballistics program. Again, no wind. The tracking feature, which could also help stalk a bedded animal, is cool but not not enuff to overcome the weak ballistics IMO. I was hopeful Swaro would get this right but they missed the mark IMO.

Leica Geovid 3200.com. Glass might be slightly below Swaro and on par w Zeiss. Still premium glass. Onboard ballistics app is weak and I wouldn't trust it beyond 500-600 yards. However, this is the only alpha glass option that links w kestrel. Admittedly, I was skeptical as there was a lot of negative press on the BT connection when they first launched. That being said, Leica updated the firmware and following a couple weeks of testing, my unit works flawlessly and is actually gives wind readings faster than my G7 (manually inputting wind).

I purchased the Leicas and look forward to using them for many years to come. If you decide to go with one of the big 3 (Swaro, zeiss, Leica), don't be afraid to be negotiate. They are required to list MSRP but every single store I visited (not big box) or called was willing to negotiate on price ( this wasn't true for vortex or sig).

I could go into a lot more depth but this should get you started. Best thing you could do is download all the apps to see the functionality and then go look through them at a local retailer.

LHP.
That might be the best (most succinct and direct) summary I've seen on the subject. I own Leica 15 R's and have experience with friends' Zeiss and Swaro rangefinding binos. I've not had specific experience with the the Leica 3200.com, but I agree with everything said about the other two and general quality of Leica (both optically and ballistics). Well done!

I have the Leica 15x56 Geovid R (rangefinder). Mine don't have the ability to connect to Kestrel. The onboard solution is really dumbed down (essentially ONLY accounts for distance and angle - does NOT have ability to input specific BC/velocity, atmosphere, elevation or wind; you get to pick from 1 of 3 different "ranges" of common groupings). I'd agree, only really good out to 500 yards for shooting at game, and that's a stretch, you've really got to know how Your particular load compares to the pre-programed solution and adjust accordingly (not easy to do in the field when your heartrate is up). Typically, I can't get it to range animals beyond 800 (maybe I need to consider warranty claim - they advertise 1200 yds capability... on what type of surface??).

With all of that said, I'm NOT a long-range hunter, 500 yds is my max comfort on game, so these binos are ideal for MY needs. The glass is Superb, I don't carry a spotter (because I'm not willing to carry the weight) and I'm pretty picky about which deer I'll shoot. With this glass, I can tell from a very long ways off whether or not I'm going to shoot that deer. You'd be crazy not to use these on a tripod (that's probably true of all premium optics). If I ever get to the point of having the time to do more practice in mountain conditions, I'll have to switch to optics with better ballistics (by then I would assume that Zeiss, Swaro and Leica will be in an arms race with fancy new software).

I agree on a lot of this but I can say I have had swaro and Lieca in the field and the lie as give up nothing to the swaro in glass. In fact I cared less about the solutions and more about glass. And they won out for me. What I noticed is that during bright daylight the swaro seemed brighter.
But as light wore away towards dark late afternoon they seemed to fall in line and at dark they were the same. But I felt overall clarity was better on Lieca. I do tend to fall into the brightness trap during the day while trying new glass I always wait till dusk. Not even last light but don't like trying them in the middle of the day it seems to make even cheap ones look great.

I agree on a lot of this but I can say I have had swaro and Lieca in the field and the lie as give up nothing to the swaro in glass. In fact I cared less about the solutions and more about glass. And they won out for me. What I noticed is that during bright daylight the swaro seemed brighter.
But as light wore away towards dark late afternoon they seemed to fall in line and at dark they were the same. But I felt overall clarity was better on Lieca. I do tend to fall into the brightness trap during the day while trying new glass I always wait till dusk. Not even last light but don't like trying them in the middle of the day it seems to make even cheap ones look great.
Generally agreed. I didn't go into a ton of detail about optical quality as there are members of this board much more qualified to do so. I noticed a little more "tinting" on the Leica due to the range finder than I did the Swaro.

Also, I may have been a little unfair to zeiss by not mentioning that the rangefinder it's is excellent. However, IMO it doesn't matter to me how good the rangefinder is if the ballistic solutions are sub par (no wind, no G7).

I've been running the same middle of the road binos and a 2005 model range finder for a long while now and I'm thinking seriously about upgrading. I'm considering the swarovski range finding binos. My question is, are they that much better than any other range finding binoculars? What others are there out there that compare? What are your recommendations?
How about the new vortex bino rangefinder binoculars?

I have the leica 3200.com. I got these just before the new swaro release but don't regret it yet. The leica glass is excellent as expected. It ranges to over 3000 without issue. It gives solutions to 1000 on a custom curve, via inputs in the app, and will give solutions to as far as it will range when paired to a kestrel with blue tooth. I am not a big fan of the BT to kestrel connection but it's not horrible. The whole thing should just be integrated inside the bino and be done with the BS.

Recent Posts