Opinions on chronograph's

Labradar. Had mine for 5-6yrs and it's been a solid performer.

There are two new, competing, radar units supposed to be released very soon. They might be better than Labradar? Or might not... Time will tell. Only thing I know about them is what little I've read about them.

'Furman' wrote up a review on one of the new radar units on Long Range Only, recently. He liked it better than Labradar. Which doesn't mean much to me. I'd need to see more feedback from other users. Which takes time...

So if you wanna buy one now, I'd be leaning LabRadar. If you can wait 12 months, could wait and learn more about these two "about-to-be-released" radar units.

Garmin is manufacturing the one. 'Furman' (@LRO) reviewed the other unit. Don't remember its name/Brand.

Much harder to find, but I picked up a used Steinert Acoustic chronograph as I was building some super speed loads (5500fps) and it was the only thing that would read that high. Simple as could be to set up, accurate compared to my chrony at least, and small and easy to pack around. If you can find them used (I paid $125) I would recommend it.

My situation:

I normally bring 3 rifles to our club on any individual day. Mostly, I shoot on the 400yd line. However, I occasionally shoot at shorter ranges on the same day with short-range guns (45-70, etc). I rotate through the 3 guns in an effort to keep them cool. The different guns may be shot at different targets/backstops.

The only viable chronograph for me is one that stands alone and can easily be rotated a bit to a different target without leaving the bench.

To that end, I have a LabRadar that sits on a tripod at the side of the bench. It sits less than a foot from the muzzle. It is in easy reach for me to manipulate the buttons. The LabRadar reads at a wide enough angle that it will read bullets that are shot at the 400yd target or the 200yd target without any adjustment at all.

Just a few things that you may want to consider when making your selection.

I knew there had to be a draw back somewhere.Too good to be true!
This is not true at all. I own several high end Garmin products such as livescope and multiple different graphs for my boat and their trolling motor. I can call them up and speak with a person no problem. They have great customer service and if something's wrong they will replace the entire unit.

This is not true at all. I own several high end Garmin products such as livescope and multiple different graphs for my boat and their trolling motor. I can call them up and speak with a person no problem. They have great customer service and if something's wrong they will replace the entire unit.

I use marine electronics commercially, Garmin does have great customer service but sadly like some great warranty scope companies you will use it. Ive never dealt with Indian based customer service, its always been someone in Kansas.

I'm down to rhino radios on my boat, they've never finished a season even being babied, they have a reasonable warranty until they run out of parts. Furuno they aren't. But they are good enough if try a chronograph from them, although knowing full well they change model numbers so fast in 5 years they won't have parts.

In the market for a chronograph as well, used a Labradar last week... it was OK. Id still need another for my high speed varmint guns, so it would require 2x purchases.

I have an optical and it works fine for me. But I have a private range. On a public range they can be a pain to get set up because your tying up the range.

The magneto speed eliminates the need to go down range but I don't like the idea of shooting groups for load development with something strapped on the barrel. And I like to track velocities during load work up.

The lab radar is the Cadillac and the only negative is the price.
Having used Chrono and CED chronographs for several years, and the LabRadar for the last couple of years, I have to agree with the idea to "buy once, cry once". Far superior IMO. It's so easy and quick to set up and use that I use it all the time. Every shot. Great to monitor consistency and changes from conditions, all without being concerned with possible grouping impacts of something hanging one the barrel. PLUS to switch to a different rifle, just set the first one aside, pick up the next one, and fire away. Can't get any easier or quicker and the accuracy is unquestionable.

Good Friend has the Mag net ohspeed V3 it's been fantastic never let us down another Friend sadly pass had a Oehler 35 p it to was great to mite still be made ,cheers