Opinions on Rangefinding Binos

I've only tried my friend's RF binos but here is something for thought depending on your use.

RF bino is super convenient in most cases, but are there times that a stand alone RF is better?
If you do some stalking with archery, I know I would not want to HAVE to pull out my binos to range a deer. I find it nice to have a tiny little RF that i can pull up, and let go of (its on a tether). I normally get busted by noise so pulling out my binos and putting them back in a critical moment is not preferable.

Basically i see myself buying RF binos and still keeping a stand alone RF for archery

I'm a huge fan of the Ziess RF Binos. I agree they're weak on the ballistics compared to other programs, but they get the job done. The optics are the best you can get. I had a pair of the Victory 10x54's previously, and they were the the best low light glass in 10x I've ever seen. When they offered the same with the RF, I couldn't resist. It was a great decision. I did learn a couple of things as I went along, though. Sync them to the app and get absolute pressure from the binos. That way your binos and the ballistics chart in the app will agree! Also, always use in best target mode unless you're really having to deal with a lot of interference. One other down side was short range accuracy. I tried using them for 3-D archery, and they were off a yard or two until 80-90 yards. Then they were spot on. The upside is they will range soft targets to 2500 yards!

The new swaro has the best glass. But lacks in every other aspect.

Leica is second on glass, but lacks in the ballistic calculations.

Zeiss is third in glass, but ranges well out to a mile and gives accurate ballistic data with the correct inputs. No wind though.

I ended up with Zeiss again, after using all three. I won't mess with the wind on a long range shot on a game animal. So that part didn't bother me.

Definitely get what fits your personal needs, I would just recommend staying with the premium glass companies for a rangefinding bino. If you're dead set on linking kestrel, get the Leica. If you just want to use the kestrel separately to get an accurate wind hold, but want your binos to do the ranging and ballistic calculations, get the Zeiss. I got mine for $2500 from the forums.

I'm still up in the air on this subject. I have the older Leica ultravids and 1200 range finder and now a g7. I prefer the geovids over the other binos. The geovids weigh as much as my pair of Leicas and are a little larger physically than the ultravids. Usually though at actual shot time, I still prefer a small rangefinder on a retractable tether than binoculars. I forsee myself using both a geovid and a g7

Zeiss is third in glass, but ranges well out to a mile and gives accurate ballistic data with the correct inputs. No wind though.

I ended up with Zeiss again, after using all three. I won't mess with the wind on a long range shot on a game animal. So that part didn't bother me.

Definitely get what fits your personal needs, I would just recommend staying with the premium glass companies for a rangefinding bino. If you're dead set on linking kestrel, get the Leica. If you just want to use the kestrel separately to get an accurate wind hold, but want your binos to do the ranging and ballistic calculations, get the Zeiss. I got mine for $2500 from the forums.
Not sure why you think a Leica lacks in ballistics. You can use the applied ballistics solver in the kestrel and get data as far as you can range. I've ranges to 3400 on snow covered hills and 3100 on grass hills. Usually when people run a lrf bino they are hunters, the on board solver is quite good and goes to 1000, well beyond most people's abilities.

We'll agree to disagree on quality of the glass! LOL The Ziess Victory glass was the winner when I compared just the binos. They all lose a slight amount of light transmission when the RF is added. That's where the 10x54's really stood out, though.

Not sure why you think a Leica lacks in ballistics. You can use the applied ballistics solver in the kestrel and get data as far as you can range. I've ranges to 3400 on snow covered hills and 3100 on grass hills. Usually when people run a lrf bino they are hunters, the on board solver is quite good and goes to 1000, well beyond most people's abilities.
Sorry! I was unaware of the on board solver out to 1000 yards! The ones I used did not have that. That is definitely something to consider. Because they have great glass a d ranging abilities.
We'll agree to disagree on quality of the glass! LOL The Ziess Victory glass was the winner when I compared just the binos. They all lose a slight amount of light transmission when the RF is added. That's where the 10x54's really stood out, though.
Hahaha I'm sure you're extra 25% larger objective lense helps quite a bit. I was comparing the 10x42's. I mean I use the Zeiss, the glass is great. But it wasn't the best. To my eyes anyways lol.

Most of that stuff is relative to the user and requires pretty sophisticated equipment to measure light. Coatings can appear different tints to different people and perceived coloration and brightness. I still prefer the Swaro el over anything I've owned or tested but it's splitting hairs and being extremely picky about very specific things.

Sorry! I was unaware of the on board solver out to 1000 yards! The ones I used did not have that. That is definitely something to consider. Because they have great glass a d ranging abilities.

Hahaha I'm sure you're extra 25% larger objective lense helps quite a bit. I was comparing the 10x42's. I mean I use the Zeiss, the glass is great. But it wasn't the best. To my eyes anyways lol.
Yeah, you use the app in your phone to set up the custom profile and transfer to the bino. It's good to 1000. Comparing it to shooter and ab solvers it's right there and gives moa to the tenths. It doesn't hold more than 1 profile at time in the bino but it's not a bad transfer time if you wanted to swap out. Takes 2 minutes if you know what your doing. All in all the on board program is pretty good. If you use kestrel you also get wind transferred to the bino. I really don't care about wind as I use my own short cut for wind and it works very well. Just a quick calc in my head and send it

I have a pair of the old Leica Geovid 10 x 42 with the built in rangefinder. Would not leave home without them. Super convenient to put the glass up and range. Glass is very clear and the rangefinder has worked flawlessly for me. Unfortunately the old model does not do the calcs for up and down hill but the new ones do. I also carry a G7 rangefinder because it has all of my dope in it but when shooting on flat ground or fairly flat ground the Leica's are the bomb. I have not owend the Swarovski rangefinding bino's but have owned the Swaro 10 x 42 EL's, sold them, Owned the Zeiss 10 x 42, sold them. Keep gonig back to the old stand by's. Leica Bino's are pretty hard to beat IMO.

Question, I have older 10x42 Geovids and love them. Been thinking about upgrading to zleica 3200 but trying to understand bino s capability without linking to kestrel. Am I understanding right that the bino s will range find to 1000 yards AND give shooting solution (MOA) without Kestrel? Does such solution, if my interpretation is correct, account for incline/decline also? Lastly, do you build your own ballistics rather than use standardized ones? ( I shoot a lot of wildcats) If curves can be customized, how many can the binocular support?

Thx in advance to anyone who can help me with these questions. I d really like to get a pair but don't want to spend that much $$$ and be disappointed in functionality that is important to me!

I've been running the same middle of the road binos and a 2005 model range finder for a long while now and I'm thinking seriously about upgrading. I'm considering the swarovski range finding binos. My question is, are they that much better than any other range finding binoculars? What others are there out there that compare? What are your recommendations?
I purchased Leica 10X50 Geovids as a Christmas present to myself, they are phenomenal ! I also have Leica 10X25 Ultra Vid binos and A Leica APO 60-90 power Televid angled spotting scope. They all equal the best glass I've ever looked through.

Question, I have older 10x42 Geovids and love them. Been thinking about upgrading to zleica 3200 but trying to understand bino s capability without linking to kestrel. Am I understanding right that the bino s will range find to 1000 yards AND give shooting solution (MOA) without Kestrel? Does such solution, if my interpretation is correct, account for incline/decline also? Lastly, do you build your own ballistics rather than use standardized ones? ( I shoot a lot of wildcats) If curves can be customized, how many can the binocular support?

Thx in advance to anyone who can help me with these questions. I d really like to get a pair but don't want to spend that much $$$ and be disappointed in functionality that is important to me!
You use a phone app to build a custom profile and load it to the bino. It only holds 1 at time in the bino but the app holds many. It takes a couple mins to change to a different profile, max time, once you are comfortable using the 2 devices. It's pretty straight forward. If you use a kestrel link you can store 3 on the kestrel or an elite lets you store many more. I use the kestrel for over 1000 and so far I just use the leica to 1000. It's dead on imho. Yes it changes the solutions based on slope angle, barometric pressure, and temperature. It does not give wind solutions via the app but kestrel will send the data to the bino for elevation and wind. As said in my earlier post, I don't care about that anyway. I use my own wind short cut so the bino works just fine for me to 1k, over 1k I use the kestrel link.

For those valuing the ballistic features, what scope reticals are you using. I typically use BDC or some custom reticals that provide aim points up to and last 600 yards. Wondering what advantage is there for ballistic features if I am not shooting straight cross hairs or adjusting my knobs.