Opinions on Accubonds

RugerHawg413

Hello, Everyone,
What is your opinion on factory made Nosler accubonds? The few times that I have used them, I thought that they did a great job. But, I would love to hear your opinions on them good or bad. I mainly want to hear about how deadly you think they are on big game animals. Thank you for all and any info!

LRAB is my go to in all calibers for big game. They are DRT, (Dead Right There) on well placed shots. I was a huge fan of Partitions, but feel the LRAB have all the partition offered plus better BD and accuracy. I have tried just about all other bullets, and while yes other bullets work, for me the LRAB is the one that performs the best. I don't use bullets that are slower to expand (Berger or solids like Hammers and Barnes) as they pencil through and do not transfer all that energy. Sure the animal dies, but maybe 40-80 yards from where it was shot. In the thick woods of ENC, 40-80 yards in the woods, is 40-80 yards you have to crawl on your hands and knees through briars and vines (while hoping not to run into a bear, and also trying to beat him to your deer). It is much easier to shoot them where you can see them drop and drive up to them with your hoist, so why not hit them with a DRT bullet.

I am sure others will have something to say and that is fine. Everyone has their opinions, and basically all bullets work if put in the proper location with sufficient energy, but your question was do AB work, and for me they work the best. Good luck in your search.

LRAB is my go to in all calibers for big game. They are DRT, (Dead Right There) on well placed shots. I was a huge fan of Partitions, but feel the LRAB have all the partition offered plus better BD and accuracy. I have tried just about all other bullets, and while yes other bullets work, for me the LRAB is the one that performs the best. I don't use bullets that are slower to expand (Berger or solids like Hammers and Barnes) as they pencil through and do not transfer all that energy. Sure the animal dies, but maybe 40-80 yards from where it was shot. In the thick woods of ENC, 40-80 yards in the woods, is 40-80 yards you have to crawl on your hands and knees through briars and vines (while hoping not to run into a bear, and also trying to beat him to your deer). It is much easier to shoot them where you can see them drop and drive up to them with your hoist, so why not hit them with a DRT bullet.

I am sure others will have something to say and that is fine. Everyone has their opinions, and basically all bullets work if put in the proper location with sufficient energy, but your question was do AB work, and for me they work the best. Good luck in your search.
Thank you for the info and knowledge!

I've used them successfully on deer and elk. They are more explosive than partitions at high impact velocity which can affect penetration. At more modest impact velocities, their performance appears identical to partitions. I use them because they are easier to get great accuracy than partitions and get partition like performance. This was a 140g .277 that started at 3200fps. It did not exit an elk at 460yds (found under the skin of the off shoulder) but destroyed the shoulder. The same load failed to exit a 200lb whitetail shot through both knuckles at 250yds. Similarly, this load didn't exit a 300lb muley shot through the shoulder at 300yds. If ranges are longer or only one shoulder is impacted on deer, this load always leaves impressive exit wounds littering the ground with blood and tissue.

Performance at 460yds was outstanding….while at closer ranges, only good…if heavy bone was hit. Not the fault of the bullet as much as the application. The same bullet started slower would likely have exited both deer and still performed well on the elk. Component choices are all about compromises….. This load is a good compromise….

Here are some other recent examples: My son shot his bull at 300yds last year with 165g .308 started at 2830. A couple exited, and one did not (he was a little excited). The recovered bullet showed double diameter expansion and retained 2/3s of its weight after taking out one shoulder.

My mule deer last fall was shot with 165g .308 at 3000fps. At 165yds, it created a 2" entrance wound (hit a rib going in) and silver dollar sized exit would after taking out the off shoulder. It was a 250lb buck.

If you are within the appropriate velocity window, great performing bullets abound. FWIW, I start with Accubonds and Hornady Interlocks when starting to load. If I'm shooting modest velocities, I'm also a fan of Ballistic Tips because of their stellar accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 20
I've used them successfully on deer and elk. They are more explosive than partitions at high impact velocity which can affect penetration. At more modest impact velocities, their performance appears identical to partitions. I use them because they are easier to get great accuracy than partitions and get partition like performance. This was a 140g .277 that started at 3200fps. It did not exit an elk at 460yds (found under the skin of the off shoulder) but destroyed the shoulder. The same load failed to exit a 200lb whitetail shot through both knuckles at 250yds. Similarly, this load didn't exit a 300lb muley shot through the shoulder at 300yds. If ranges are longer or only one shoulder is impacted on deer, this load always leaves impressive exit wounds littering the ground with blood and tissue.

Performance at 460yds was outstanding….while at closer ranges, only good…if heavy bone was hit. Not the fault of the bullet as much as the application. The same bullet started slower would likely have exited both deer and still performed well on the elk. Component choices are all about compromises….. This load is a good compromise….

Here are some other recent examples: My son shot his bull at 300yds last year with 165g .308 started at 2830. A couple exited, and one did not (he was a little excited). The recovered bullet showed double diameter expansion and retained 2/3s of its weight after taking out one shoulder.

My mule deer last fall was shot with 165g .308 at 3000fps. At 165yds, it created a 2" entrance wound (hit a rib going in) and silver dollar sized exit would after taking out the off shoulder. It was a 250lb buck.

If you are within the appropriate velocity window, great performing bullets abound. FWIW, I start with Accubonds and Hornady Interlocks when starting to load. If I'm shooting modest velocities, I'm also a fan of Ballistic Tips because of their stellar accuracy.
Thank you for the info and wisdom!