Opinions on Bullet Designs

Yes agreed, heavier bullets are tougher and are better and as an example I learned recently from member @FEENIX is that on my 7mm-08 I can use the 139gr SST which I love but I can also use the 162gr A-Max and both are good out to 500m, although heavier but with the higher BC both are at or above 1,800 fps and at or above 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at this distance.

The exception are bonded bullets, no issues with lighter ones except just more meat damage

There is also the matter of lower impact velocity of the heavier bullet, which will affect its expansion characteristics. All the bullets in common use for long range work are pretty frangible, and subject to over-expansion at close range. It would seem to me that the heavier bullets should be somewhat better for penetration at closer ranges, where velocity is still pretty high, all other things being equal. Also, even if it does over-expand on a close shot, there's more bullet there to get the job done. Everything else about the heavier bullet is to your advantage as well. I agree with what you're saying, that if you are going to go with the lighter bullet, go with the one with the bonded core - in case your shot is close.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts